Looking to buy a 4th gen. Do any 4.0s exist without the timing chain rattle? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy a 4th gen. Do any 4.0s exist without the timing chain rattle?

Thanks, I've decided if I do get a 4th gen it will have to be a 4.6. I'm considering a 5th gen but prefer a full frame 4th gen if I can find a clean one. I test drove an 08 Eddie bauer 4.0 with 98,000 miles on it yesterday and couldn't wait to back in my 2002 with 203,000 on it, mine rides like a new car compared to what I've tested lately.The pickens are slim.

I was tempted by the 5th gen models too. What killed them as an option for me is the water pump issues with the 3.5L engines. Some yahoo at Ford decided to put the water pump inside the timing chain housing. When the pump goes bad it dumps coolant directly into the oil pan! If I bought a used one with any miles on it I would have felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb. Doing a preventative replacement of the water pump is a $1,400-$1,500 expense. If it goes out and roasts the engine it is a $4k-$6k expense. I just wasn't willing to take this risk. This issue is so prevalent that Ford has been fighting a class action lawsuit over this design flaw. This engine is used in numerous FMC car and SUV models. A few years ago they did move the water pump to a location outside the timing chain cover on 3.5L engines used in Ford pickup trucks.

I have found good luck using Facebook to find used vehicles. This summer I found a Steeda Mustang there that I bought for a great price and then I found the Mountaineer I just bought there also. Anymore, it seems sites like Craigs List, Cars.com etc. are not all that great for finding good used vehicles at decent prices.

Well I took the risky road. Found a very clean 07 4.0 with no timing chain rattle, no warning lights, a smooth shifting trans, and a 4×4 system that works perfectly. 95,000 miles. Needs a few of the common fixes(no radio display, blower motor resistor) but I couldn't pass it up.

20191204_135826.jpg

Nice looking Explorer. I like the color. Change all the fluids and it should last you for a long time. The good thing is the 4th gen Explorers and Mountaineers can be had for such low prices that doing some maintenance and repairs to them aren't to bad from an overall cost of ownership aspect.

Back