Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Looking to buy a 4th gen. Do any 4.0s exist without the timing chain rattle?

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by doug625, November 11, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. 94Eddie

94Eddie Elite Explorer

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2010 Mountaineer Premier
    I was tempted by the 5th gen models too. What killed them as an option for me is the water pump issues with the 3.5L engines. Some yahoo at Ford decided to put the water pump inside the timing chain housing. When the pump goes bad it dumps coolant directly into the oil pan! If I bought a used one with any miles on it I would have felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb. Doing a preventative replacement of the water pump is a $1,400-$1,500 expense. If it goes out and roasts the engine it is a $4k-$6k expense. I just wasn't willing to take this risk. This issue is so prevalent that Ford has been fighting a class action lawsuit over this design flaw. This engine is used in numerous FMC car and SUV models. A few years ago they did move the water pump to a location outside the timing chain cover on 3.5L engines used in Ford pickup trucks.

I have found good luck using Facebook to find used vehicles. This summer I found a Steeda Mustang there that I bought for a great price and then I found the Mountaineer I just bought there also. Anymore, it seems sites like Craigs List, Cars.com etc. are not all that great for finding good used vehicles at decent prices.

Last edited: November 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. doug625

doug625 Active Member

2002 XLS, 2007 XLT
    Well I took the risky road. Found a very clean 07 4.0 with no timing chain rattle, no warning lights, a smooth shifting trans, and a 4×4 system that works perfectly. 95,000 miles. Needs a few of the common fixes(no radio display, blower motor resistor) but I couldn't pass it up.

20191204_135826.jpg

4. 94Eddie

94Eddie Elite Explorer

2010 Mountaineer Premier
    Nice looking Explorer. I like the color. Change all the fluids and it should last you for a long time. The good thing is the 4th gen Explorers and Mountaineers can be had for such low prices that doing some maintenance and repairs to them aren't to bad from an overall cost of ownership aspect.