loss of oil pressure light! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I wanted to share my story in hopes of saving someone else the trouble we had. While driving to the beach (200 miles from home) my gas meter showed 12 miles. This car has always been extremely accurate. I was pulling off the exit to get gas and I lost the gas pedal and began to lose speed. My loss of oil pressure light started flashing in red and the oil light came on. My first thought was the oil change we had the evening before we left on our trip. The car gentle glides to a stop and I turned it off. We checked the oil, again expecting them to have left the filter loose or something but it's perfectly fine. No sign of a leak...and dip stick reads full. It has the push button start...it will not do anything. We unhook the battery thinking the system may need to reset ( a sensor or somthing)...nothing. So we call a tow truck. We travel 20 miles to the closest dealership where we wait 2 hours and racked up a $225 bill to tell us it was out of gas. It never spit or sputtered just glided to a stop...gave us oil pressure warnings which scared us thinking it was a serious problem. We actually walked to the service station I was headed to for gas and got coffee while we waited for the tow. I have been on 0 miles before when I pulled into to station and after 2 years never questioned the gas gage accuracy. Lesson learned and if you find this story..try a little gas before you call the tow trucks!!

Back