Loss of power, randomly... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loss of power, randomly...

Unsubxx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer 4x4
So, random driving, went to accelerate with the ac on... All of a sudden felt like I was hauling a 6k lbs trailer... Turned ac off. Still happened....

So. I realized I went mudding, so I should check my filter. Had mud on it, cleaned it... Still no power... Testing my tps. I have no idea what I'm doing. Unplugged it same problem. Plugged it back in. did the same for maf... Nothing changed... Now with them both plugged in. I'm getting hard shifts, and odd downshifts... And still no damn power...

The cats aren't glowing and they don't smell.
Increased fuel consumption.
No codes.

First explorer... Issues already...

1996 4.0 v6
4x4
TT and shackles
31x10.5 r15

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For starters I'd keep calm or this situation is only going to be worse for you, don't blame the truck because you took it out and beat the hell out of it. Also understand it's almost 20 years old, so things aren't as fresh as they used to be and problems can happen. I would say check your plug wires and plug wells. Make sure you didn't get water all in them and it's causing the truck to miss.

I'm assuming it's missing correct? When you say 6k lb trailer does it still run ok just down on power or is it bucking and jerking all over the place?

Oh and what 4.0 is it that you have? OHV or SOHC?

Was acceleration from a stop? Could the trans have been the wrong gear? Any O/D light flashing? I had an issue where sometimes my trans wouldn't downshift in traffic and when I accelerated it was like the trans was in 2nd or 3rd. Manually shift it to 2nd and back to drive would usually help.

Thank for the quick replies!

Well I should hope going into mud, and flooring it to turn around and going home isn't too much for these... That's making my jeep look more desirable hahah

As for the loss of power...
It sounds like it's there. But, it take about 13 seconds to get to 60, but it sounds like im hauling ass... Like pulling a trailer...

I've tried every gear... Well every selectable gear. Still feels the same. Like a big trailer and I'm trying to pass. It used to be peppy. And it saddens me..

Checked the wires, all fine. There wasn't any standing water. It was legit farm gumbo. Lose your boot in it kinda stuff.

So, here's an update, half throttle and under it kinda feels like it used too. But anything more is pathetic. It's almost as if the farther push the bigger the trailer attached.,, it's a very odd feeling.

It's got about 190k
Jeep had 322k
^ this is my sadness hahah

almost what im going through. I'm starting to wonder if its a headgasket. I floor it and doesn't go above 3k rpm and has like no power but anything under that it accels fine if I don't floor it and keep it under 3k rpm

Kinda yeah. And it better not be lol oils fine coolants full lol

I have full rpm range, it's just gutless over 3750-4100 rpm

I would run fuel pressure test first to see about that. Then if that's fine run compression test. Could be just plugs and wires and or coil

Sounds like your hauling ass? Like a big vacuum? Loss power- could it be the fan clutch.

Only reason I asked is mine started to really roar and was under powered, thought it was the new tires I put on but find out the fan clutch was bad-spinning as fast as the engine. Once I fixed it I have my power back and the roar is gone (like a semi), well it still roars slightly at start up/cold start then I guess engages the clutch once the fluid is circulated

It sounds like a Honda with a cold air ahahha. Like it's actually trying. And I'll try too. Oriellys rents them right?

And my scan gauge two cant pick anything up. Any ideas to use it to help diagnose?

Bump?

I would try plugs 1st to see, then wires if plugs didn't work, then coil

Alright. I'll pull the plugs again and see if there's a change

had this issue check out your idle air controller.... no power randomly @ hwy speeds and would shift weird... also was at like 3500 rpm in gear at 90kmh. smacked mine with a hammer and fine ever since, clean it too...

Back