Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Lost any respect for Ford I may have had....

Discussion in 'Auto Industry News' started by Rick, November 19, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. BUCHVILLEMAN

BUCHVILLEMAN Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Buckville, Florida
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    95' xlt
    recent publicity PROOVES that they are due for change in management. the firestone mess, the new ex comin off the line with gouges in the tires, i know there is more but im blanking. i agree that they are loosing customers and they need a change, and it seems that have been making poor descisions. i guess they are sticking with conservaticism though.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. donkey boy

donkey boy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Rome, GA
    '01 WJ
    I think that whenever you specially like one specific car manufacturer, you think that the current management of "your" brand is the worst on earth.

You should hear some of the Jeepers bitching about DCX, that they have no respect of the Jeep heritage and no clue of building Jeeps anymore. This specially because the Libby got IFS, the next generation Grand Cherokee will probably have IFS and maybe even IRS and about the next generation Wranglers you hear the wildest rumors.

Land Rover folks could have killed, assasinated and then murdererd the entire BMW management, and right now, nobody knows if we already need to be mad at Ford or still with BMW :rolleyes:

Working as a 2tier supplier for the automotive industry, I complain about all of them and all the OEMs equally ;)

4. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    Not in my case. I currently own the '93 Explorer, a 2001 Dodge Ram w/Cummins, and a 2000 VW Golf with a 1.9TDI.

The 2001 Dodge now has 31,000 mile and has only been in for one warranty item a spring in the steering column broke causing the air bag light to come on.

The 2000 VW has 46,000 mile and has been in for one warranty problem, a faulty turn signal stalk caused the cruise control to turn off when you signaled a right turn.

I agree with the Jeep folks about the new Chrysler management and their treatment of the truck lineup. The 2002 1500 is ugly and they killed the quad cab in favor of a four door... Yuck. I will be holding onto ours for a long time and hopefully by the time we sell, Ford will be using the Cummins in their SD PUs.

The VW management I have no complaints about. In fact they are coming out with a 4 wheel drive PU, with electric lockers front and rear, and an optional twin turbo V-10 Diesel....

I have owned Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, IH, Ford, Dodge, and VW. I have no loyalty to ANY manufacturer (what have they done for me lately?), I have loyalty to a quality vehicle no matter who builds it.

5. rustytr

rustytr Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Leadville, Colorado
    2000 Sport
    Exactly! Ford needs an executive who's name is like Wolfgang or something. I could care less if a Ford vehicle flops as long as I like what I got, and that's how everyone should think instead of this brand loyalty crap. I've liked Fords trucks my whole life and won't buy anything but a Ford truck just because I think it's a nice, solid vehicle for MY needs and I like it, not because I'm Ford loyal. The mustang is a given, but other than that I hate Fords cars and I wouldn't buy one, infact that's why I went with an Audi because they don't have any more contour SVT's.(stupid choice on Fords part)

6. zensius

zensius Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    '92 4 dr. EB
    I could fill this thread with complaints about Ford as well. Especially their lack of interesting specialty built enthusiast vehicles. But we have to remember that we are a very, very small community of enthusiasts. On another thread a group is trying to get together just 75 people to commit to ARB for a locker front end and they're having a tough time getting the numbers. That's only 75 people! Ford sold hundred of thousands of this model Explorer (with IFS) to the non enthusiast. Pontiac sells more than 75 Aztecs every day and it is considered a major, major flop.
    As far a Chrysler being more cutting edge. Has anybody read their financial outlook recently? They are bleeding cash in a big way. Cars like the Prowler, viper and the car that started this thread are exciting and cool but they are could never sell enough to justify their programs. Or make any money for Chrysler/Mercedes.
    Now in defense of Ford's non risk taking attitude. Doesn't anyone remember how far out on a limb Ford went with the Taurus in 87? Does anyone remember what the LTD (the car it replaced) looked like the year before? The Taurus was a major risk for Ford. And how about the Explorer when it first came out? It was a couple of years ahead of GM and everybody else except Jeep. And how about the Sport Trac.
    Every company has it's highs and lows and we could debate them endlessly. The fact is that Ford is a money-making venture and that's what they're doing. And doing it very well compared to GM and Chrysler.

7. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    I agree the Taurus was different than anything else at the time. However the Explorer is just a bigger Bronco II or a Smaller FS Bronco. And the Sport Trac... Nissan beat Ford to the punch with that Ford had to play catch up again.

As far as getting enough people for the ARBs in the '95+ Explorers. I think a lot of people realize the limitations of that suspension system and don't want to invest $1000 or more into that setup.

8. zensius

zensius Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    '92 4 dr. EB
    All true.

9. rustytr

rustytr Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Leadville, Colorado
    2000 Sport
    True, I didn't get though because mine is a lease... that and I didn't have a thousand dollars. That's why it would be cool to be offered by Ford from the factory, then I could've, would've financed it.