Lots of lighting issues-are they related??!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lots of lighting issues-are they related??!!

karenzkarz

Reaction score
City, State
St. John's Newfoundland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi everyone,

I have had a couple of lighting issues and now I am wondering if they are all somehow related. I have a 99 explorer sport with no alarm. First problem was driving lights came on by themselves overnight and drained battery. Husband pulled fuse to fix that problem. Next problem was turned on high beams which caused no lights at all. Hubby changed fuse but when I was out at night again and turned on highbeams again blew fuse and no lights unless on just regular head lights. Last problem is no reverse lights changed fuse but keep blowing them. Could these problem be related? I don't know much about vehicles but must problems I have had, I have been able to find the solution here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi everyone,

I have had a couple of lighting issues and now I am wondering if they are all somehow related. I have a 99 explorer sport with no alarm. First problem was driving lights came on by themselves overnight and drained battery. Husband pulled fuse to fix that problem. Next problem was turned on high beams which caused no lights at all. Hubby changed fuse but when I was out at night again and turned on highbeams again blew fuse and no lights unless on just regular head lights. Last problem is no reverse lights changed fuse but keep blowing them. Could these problem be related? I don't know much about vehicles but must problems I have had, I have been able to find the solution here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
I am thinking there is a short in the multifunction switch.in the headlamp circuit.

Thanks I will get my hubby to check that out. He checked the drl module behind the bumper today and it seems that that is fried so he removed that. I had noticed quite a while back that my running lights were flashing on and off at times and apparently this and lights staying on are symptoms of a bad drl module. Thanks for your input, I will check this now for the reverse lights and hibeam issues.

Back