Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Lotsa ???'s ... Need Help

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Mapleleafgirl, September 16, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Mapleleafgirl

Mapleleafgirl New Member

City, State:
      Colorado Springs
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 XLT
      :eek:

I just bought a 94 XLT a couple months ago in Canada. The check engine light has been on about a week after i bought it. It randonmly goes on and off...about 70% of the time. I took it in for a diagnostic test and they couldnt do one cuz there is a piece missing where they hook up the computer...the single prong. ( Hope this makes sence...i know almost nothing about cars and this is my 1st ever truck!) I have also had 3 bouts of vapour lock over the past month. I know i need a U joint and brakes besides that i have no idea whats going on with this thing. Have to say its very kewl though besides the problems ;-)

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me...even if its just somewhere good to take it in Colorado springs.

Ciao

Diane

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ahhjaws

ahhjaws Moab Edition Explorer

City, State:
      Ft. Collins, CO
      1992 Explorer XLT
      I don't really know anything about your problem, but I can tell you where good trails are in Colorado Springs. You can join our club in Woodland Park too if you want. Check out the link below.

Welcome aboard!!

About the light, try the search function above, I know it's been talked about before, and would be a good start.

4. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      What do you mean when you say "vapor lock"?

Also the single prong wire has to be there somewhere, you may have to open up the wiring harness but it has to be there. Also I believe (dont quote me somebody else will chime in I hope) that the single prong wire is nothing more then a ground wire.

If you remove the gas cap and there is a ton of air rushing out, you need to replace the canister purge solenoid, they are about $20 at NAPA.

Give us as much info as necessary.
      If the CEL (check Engine Light) is on then you need to pull the codes, the people you took it to did not look hard enough for your missing wire, it is in there......I guarantee, even if it has been chopped off it's in there, you just gotta dig deeper, maybe remove the power distribution box to get to it.....

5. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      I couldn;t find my single prong wire either but I found it in the main harness. Check the wiring diagram for it and see if someone has accidentally stuck it into one of the holes in the main harness.