Loud annoying clunk - 96 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud annoying clunk - 96 explorer

halfbakedj14

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer
My 96 explorer is having a loud clunk on both sides of the front of my car in the area where the tire is. I've taken the tire off and can't really see anything that could be causing the noise. It sounds like the noise when you drive over a sewer. I attached a video of underneath the front end of me pushing on the front end in hopes it may help someone identify the problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSIsP9PAJ4s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check ball joints and sway bar end links.

Jack up the drivers side and grab the tire at 12 and 6 and try pulling it back and forth. If that doesn't tell you anything feel the upper and lower ball joint, end of the tie rod and the sway bar link and feel for vibration when it clunks.

Check frame bushings.

Touch a stethoscope to the ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, etc while a buddy bounces the truck.

Sounds to me like a dried out and worn out ball joint. Does the front end make a loud creaking when you turn the wheel? How many miles on the trucklet? Have the ball joints ever been changed?

Back