• Register Today It's free!

Loud clicking 2002 mounty awd

Ayoung

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mercury mountaineer
Need help please!! I have a 2002 mounty awd 4.0 113,000 miles on it, just got it a month ago. Noticed a loud clicking coming from the front left sounds like when going up on a roller coaster. When I speed up the noise get faster and when stopping it clicks until at a complete stop. So I put it on jack stands and decided since I didn't know how the prev owner maintained it that I would change front and rear diff fluids. After attempting to problem solve it myself I fig it was the cv joint so I replaced the cv joint and half shaft with a new one. After doing all of this the clicking noise is still there. This is the only vehicle we have to go anywhere with our kids. I'm mechanically savvy, I used to have a jeep wrangler and if you have ever owned one of those you learn your way around a vehicle. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

Mine's doing the same thing...I'm thinking it's something to do with the auto-locking hubs...I get it from both front sides. My AWD still works fine though...

Ive been reading for hours and best I can see is that's a sign of a wheel bearing going? Sounds EXACTLY like auto-locking hubs I had on my truck when they disengaged.

Back