Loud, fast screech at startup and gear shifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud, fast screech at startup and gear shifting

lee2489

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited 5.0
i've got a loud screech from the engine as soon as it starts up and when i shift into reverse then also shifting into drive. it does it about 80 percent of the time on startup and about 75 percent of the time when shifting. i can't find any trends like when it's cold or hot or anything. it just started about two months ago. any ideas? i thought at first it might be the belt, but the sound coming when i shift threw me off of that. it also does it about 50 percent of the time when i'm stopped and i press the gas fast.

Your first instinct of the belt might still prove to be true. When you select a different gear, the RPMs of the engine fluctuate. Pressing the gas, of course, again causes a change in the RPMs. Your belt is rapidly increasing in speed when this occurs. Do a visual inspection of the belt to see if there are any cracks in the ribs. If there aren't, try removing the belt to see if the sound persists. A crack free belt can still be worn out. If it does have cracks, you should replace it regardless of whether or not it is the source of your sound.

Back