• Register Today It's free!

Loud Rumbling Noise

allmine!

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited
Whenever I am driving on the interstate I notice this very loud rumbling noise that seems to be coming from the front or the bottom of the truck. I have never noticed this noise during city driving. What could be causing this? This noise has been going on for quite sometime now, nearly a year, the truck has over 93,000 miles on it and had the 90,000 mile service done but nothing was found by the technicians. Also, my gas gauge (the gauge itself and the message center reading) is completely gone, does anyone know how much it would be to fix this, I assume the problem is the sender in the gas tank itself. Do both the guage and the message center get the reading from the same source or will the message center reading be a completely different fix? Thanks in advance!

hinton

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could the noise be from the tires? Maybe they're getting old, or out of round, etc?

Yeah it must be the tires. When I first got my truck I always wondered what that noise was. It sounded almost like someone in a car near me was playing their system.......but I was on a deserted road.

Not sure about your noise. As for the Fuel gauge, could be the sender or the little float in the tank. In either case, you need to drop tank to fix and if it's the sender, you need to replace the fuel pump, as it is all one unit.... Run a search on gas gauge and you will find lots of posts w/ more info and instructions on how to fix.

Thanx everyone for your replies, but I doubt that the problem lies in the tires. They were just put on about a year and a half ago; and the other day when the noise got louder as I was driving down the interstate and I felt as though the car was veering across the road, I got off to have their pressure checked and the guy said they were fine. I have no clue as to what caused the car to drive like that, but the noise is not usually accompanied by it. Could it be ball joints? u joints? I'm clueless!

hinton

Back