Loud spinning sound coasting from 55 mph | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud spinning sound coasting from 55 mph

kburrows

Reaction score
City, State
Murfreesboro, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB 4.0l V6
My X is a 1997 a4wd 4.0L v6. Last Wed coming home my X started making a loud noise when I would start coasting from 60-55mph. The loud noise is similar to a phnumatic spinning sound. The noise starts when coasting from 55mph and the rpms drop to 1500 or below. the noise stops as soon as I press the gas pedal and start to accelerate. I can drive around town all day and nothing is wrong. All gears work, 4wdrv works, reverse works, no slipping of transmission, everything works correct. I took to dealer and their tech (with 60yrs experience) said he's never heard anything like it. He said new transfer case. Dealer bargain price $2063 tax included out the door. This seems to high. The truck has 111k miles on it. It looks and runs perfect. Could this be the trasfer case? I only have $5500 in the vehicle and love all the features and the ride is very very confortable. I hate to sink that much more money in it. I am a fairly good mechanic and have purchased the Haynes repair manual. Maybe I can change out the Tcase. Does it sound like the transfer case? I am really bummed out about this. I just bought the vehicle. Please advise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a similar problem with my 99 Sport. I It has don it for a while. I just think its a "Ford" thing. I drive many diffrent ford trucks for work and they all seem to do it.

no its not normal at all. could be the t-case. the think to do would get a good lightly used junk yard t-case.

it the t-case it will get worse mine was so bad it would not back up unless it was in 4wd... they make 5 diffent t-case for this a
fa -ga -ca model in the part time 4wd mode or 2 differnt in the awd mode.... you have 3 choses
1) junk yard t-case $450-$600 with warranty
2) new case half (that what wrong with them) for about $400
3) convert to a older (91-94) t-case which is possible but not just a slap in and go.... click on my name and go to see all post by this user and you will find other threads about this.....
this is the only flaw I have found with the 95-up explorers mine I put a used t-case in and swapped it for a 00 eddie buarer my 97 had 216,000 miles on it..

The Ford trucks that I drive at work dont have a t-case. They are E350s and E450s. Ambulances to be more exact.

jp450 said:
The Ford trucks that I drive at work dont have a t-case. They are E350s and E450s. Ambulances to be more exact.
are they powerstroke deisels... I always thought it would be cool to be a abulance driver never did so I got into stockcar racing :eek: :eek:

They are the diesels. The federal ambulance specifications require that they be diesels. So no more gas ambulances. We just got a bunch of the new 6.0 L. Those fly. They use about twice the fuel though.

Need advise

I had the new TCase put in. everything great for about 200 miles then the same started again. A loud spinning sound when coasting just like before. What are the chances I got a bad (new / rebuilt) t-case? Seems highly unlikely. I now have $7100 in the vehicle. I like the truck but cannot afford to keep sinking money in it. Originally I took to two different FORD dealers. Both experienced techs said it was the T-Case. I used an independent to replace the T-case and saved 500 - 700 dollars. The independent will be looking a it tomorrow. Could this be something else? And if so why did it quit for 200 miles and then start back. Please help........

Sounds like you got a clunker of a replacement.....

Did you buy it from Ford? If they replaced it the first time, it should be under warranty and you should be able to get another no question.

noise on coasting can be a few things. Sometimes it can be a differential gears problem.

-Drew

Unfortunatly it is not the differential. I used a local 4wdr shop and the tcase came with a 12mnth unlimited warranty. the owner is calling the manufacture to report the problem and to see if they opened up the one that came out. Hopefully I will get one that last this time.

I seem to have the same problem described by kburrows. As soon as i get anywhere above 45mph and try to maintain or decelerate i get a spinning/whinning noise. but if i gun it a little it will go away till i try to maintain or decelerate again. But when i put it in drive it seems to do a little better as far as being able to maintain a set speed without hearing any noise.
they only difference is i have a 2wd ex(and the moderate lift i have). so tranfer case problems is out of the question. was wondering if any 2wd explorers out there are having a similar problem that i am having?

thanks

kburrows said:
I had the new TCase put in. everything great for about 200 miles then the same started again. A loud spinning sound when coasting just like before. What are the chances I got a bad (new / rebuilt) t-case? Seems highly unlikely. I now have $7100 in the vehicle. I like the truck but cannot afford to keep sinking money in it. Originally I took to two different FORD dealers. Both experienced techs said it was the T-Case. I used an independent to replace the T-case and saved 500 - 700 dollars. The independent will be looking a it tomorrow. Could this be something else? And if so why did it quit for 200 miles and then start back. Please help........

from my understanding unless it had had the bearing replaced or the case half replaced on your used t-case you are playing russian rulet with a used t-case the used on I got had 90,000 mile on it and had symptoms of that it may have been bad so I got rid of my ex for a newer one..

I had the tcase replace by the same company. The manufacture of the tcase was aware of the problem and sent a new one no questions. I have about 400 miles on this second one. so far it seem fine.

good keep us updated...

Same prob. here

fury said:
I seem to have the same problem described by kburrows. As soon as i get anywhere above 45mph and try to maintain or decelerate i get a spinning/whinning noise. but if i gun it a little it will go away till i try to maintain or decelerate again. But when i put it in drive it seems to do a little better as far as being able to maintain a set speed without hearing any noise.
they only difference is i have a 2wd ex(and the moderate lift i have). so tranfer case problems is out of the question. was wondering if any 2wd explorers out there are having a similar problem that i am having?

thanks

I have the same issue, any coasting above 40 mph will bring out the sound - I would describe it as a "zipping" sound, or pneumatic as was mentioned in an earlier posting. Before I go and spend $4 - $600 on a x-fer case I want to find out what else it could be. Anyone else have ideas? Someone I know thought it could be the overdrive, but when I turn it off the noise starts at a higher RPM and lower speed. I've also noticed that with the onset of the noise the RPM's drop from about 1500 to 1000, depending on my speed.

Thanks - mac

Back