Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

low range on a 94 XLT

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by explorernoobie, July 19, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. explorernoobie

explorernoobie New Member

City, State:
      Christmas Valley, Oregon
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 XLT
      firstoff my name is Uriah, im new to the forum and im new to SUV vehicles. i read about 4low needing the tranny to be into neutral for this to engage, but i try that and the 4low lights do not come on. 4x4 comes on just fine. when i sit in the xlt and have the key to on position and push the 4x4 button you can hear it engage and disengage. now for the 4low i can hear something like i should. but there are no dash lights on indicating that 4low is engaged. if i push the button again nothing happens. again i am new to 4x4 rides and new to fords. so tell me what you guys know:roll:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Albino 94LTD

Albino 94LTD Recovering from Moab 2016 Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Newcastle Wa
      White 94 Limited
      Callsign:
      KG7PKQ
      I believe there is a brake switch too. You need to be in neutral, not moving with foot on the brake for it to shift into low range.

If you do this and hear a clunk but still have no lights, try driving a very short distance. It should be very clear whether you are in low range or not.

If it isn't shifting into low range, 'search' for shift motor rebuild threads and you will find how to repair it.

Good luck:thumbsup:

4. explorernoobie

explorernoobie New Member

City, State:
      Christmas Valley, Oregon
      94 XLT
      well i did some more reading and found out you have to push 4x4 first then low range. duh... haha thanks for the help!

5. rustbucketMI

rustbucketMI Active Member

City, State:
      Michigan
      '94 XLT 4x4
      As a friendly FYI a lot of things like that are in the owners manual. That book has a suprising amount of information in it.

6. osteologation

osteologation Active Member

City, State:
      Caro, MI
      1994 Sport
      Well if purchased used there is a pretty good chance there is no manual. I'd say more than half of the used cars I've purchased didn't have one.