Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Low RPM miss, after driving for a while

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by burndout, July 11, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. burndout

burndout New Member

City, State:
      Tulsa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '00 XLS
      To make a long story short a year ago my 2000 4.0 started missing below 2k and was hard to get rolling from a stop, had to slip the clutch above 2k to leave a stop light. Put a new battery in it as it had a dead cell, problem solved.

A year later the same problem started up again. I had changed the oil, plugs and wires in this year so I moved to the fuel filter. Problem solved until Saturday, about 2 months later.

Now my question is, the battery fixed it once (now reading good), fuel filter 2 months ago, should i just throw some new plugs and wires at it?

I put in a bottle of Lucas inj cleaner on a full tank and it still misses but ONLY if I drive it for more than 15 miles. To work and back is 12 and never had any problems so far. I feel like each thing I do is just a bandaid and isnt fixing the real problem, ODBII shows nothing, no CEL either. Now she is setting just below 230k. Ive put plugs, wires, fuel/air filter, cleaned MAF and IAC about every 3k miles. Any ideas???

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. burndout

burndout New Member

City, State:
      Tulsa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '00 XLS
      Ok, now I just did new plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel filter and checked the pressure. 58-65 PSI and held 62 for over 5 minutes. Still having the same issue. Could this be EGR related? Local parts house SWEARS it is the EGR but for the valve, sensor, and solenoid is around 150$. I personally am thinking its either a cam or crank sensor. Please, input from anyone? Am I the only one that has ever had this issue?