• Register Today It's free!

lower control arm bushings?

tha704mafia

Reaction score
City, State
MOORESVILLE, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
i have wore out mine and i was wondering how hard they are to knock out. Like could i use a hammer to knock out the old ones and knock in the new ones with a hammer or do you need a press?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need a press.

A press will be a must, and they usually come out of there flying like a bullet, so if you do it be careful. Another option especially if your lower ball joints need replacing is to just buy new lower control arms they're about $90 on rock auto with new bushing and a new ball joint.

Oh--
lower control arm bushings will require a backer tube about 30" long and the correct diameter-
I couldn't get them to budge with a 20 ton press.

you should just get new control arms with new ball joints and bushings already installed as Techieman33 suggested.

These are very dangerous bushings to remove.

i would do that but i just replaced the ball joints last year and they are good still and the bushing were only 20.00 ya know

I just replaced my lower ball joints thinking it was making the bad noise. Just found out today its the bushings. I just bought the bushings about a month ago from rock auto. SMH wish i would have seen this thread!

Back