Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Lower Control Arm Replacement

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by jakegator, July 16, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jakegator

jakegator Active Member

City, State:
      PA, USA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 explorer 4dr ohv
      Hello again!

This isnt going to be a full write up as they already exist. I just wanted to throw out some of my experience I learned and couldnt find before I started this. First off if your bushing are as gone as mine were you will need new lower bolts. One was stripped the other snapped in half (not an easy task). The bolts are M16 2.00 110mm long though 120 will work if thats all you can find. I undid the torsion bar adjust bolts (both stripped the heads) and welded a large crown nut (from the tie rod ends) to the head of the torsion bar bolts. This worked a treat. I didnt bother getting new ones just re-coated them with loctite. There seemed to be some confusion on here about just how high the truck needs to be to pull the arms. I had the car up about a foot. The control arms just need to be lowered about 4 inches more than they normally hang, they dont need to swing completely down. Once that is done they come right off with a large hammer. To remove the torsion bar from the control arm I used a 29mm socket and large mallet. A couple strategic blows and it pops right out.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 97-5.0

97-5.0 Member

City, State:
      Hamilton, Ontario
      1997 5.0 AWD
      Good info, will be doing this along with new fuel tank and evaporation line this week

4. jakegator

jakegator Active Member

City, State:
      PA, USA
      1998 explorer 4dr ohv
      I think the bolts for the fuel tank straps are m10 or m12? Someone who knows for sure will chime in. When I did mine a while back two got stripped. My ex was a rust bucket though. Good luck!