• Register Today It's free!

lower steering shaft

Ed516

Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
I hope I am posting correctly. I have not been to the forum in over a year. I have a 95 explorer Eddie Bauer over 430,000 it is great. however the lower steering shaft sticks a little =. I have sprayed it with WD40 and it loosens it for a bit . I want a new one but no one has one. Ford does not carry it and even Dorman does not have it. any ideas about an aftermarket lower shaft, or rebuild kit?

thanks very much

Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

430,000 miles?:eek: Have you called Dearborn to see if they want you in a TV commercial!?? If its not fixable then I'd find the local pick-a-part and source it. Clean it up and bathe it in white lithium grease. You may try that with your existing one first also. 430,000 miles! Wow.:thumbsup:

I know a few guys have had Flaming River make then one, I think it usually costs about $200-$300, they use quality oem style parts. Mine is binding pretty good now, thinking about getting one for myself.

This is exactly what I need

Thank you so much. They are not open today but I will call them Monday to see if they can get one for my 1995

I have tried the local used part/junk yards. The trouble is the ones i have found are in very bad shape. I looked at one this week that was locked solid at each joint.

I really appreciate it.

Ed

in my area I cant find a good one

430,000 miles?:eek: Have you called Dearborn to see if they want you in a TV commercial!?? If its not fixable then I'd find the local pick-a-part and source it. Clean it up and bathe it in white lithium grease. You may try that with your existing one first also. 430,000 miles! Wow.:thumbsup:

I really have more than 430,000 The odometer stopped working about ten years ago and it took me all summer to get to Richmond to get it fixed. It may have closer to 440,0000

I really have more than 430,000 The odometer stopped working about ten years ago and it took me all summer to get to Richmond to get it fixed. It may have closer to 440,0000

95-96 V6 trucks are real survivors!

Back