How to: - Lower your explorer (pics) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Lower your explorer (pics)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Thats odd. How fast are you taking those corners? What condition are your tires in?
Tires almost new. It started since putting shackle lift bars. It's kind of scary. That's why now I'm thinking on dropping my truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tires almost new. It started since putting shackle lift bars. It's kind of scary. That's why now I'm thinking on dropping my truck

Personally I dont think these trucks were meant to be lifted. Too narrow, then a high center of gravity...bad combination. Unless you widen the wheel base maybe. But what do I know lol.

Personally I dont think these trucks were meant to be lifted. Too narrow, then a high center of gravity...bad combination. Unless you widen the wheel base maybe. But what do I know lol.
I agree & also it has a short wheelbase which is the reason it does that I think. I have a question. My truck has nice hight since I bought it 5.1/2" gap. I was wondering if twisting the torsion bars to high will it cause you to feel every little bump/hole/crack in the road?? I could be going around 15/20 mph and if I hit a 1" crack across the raid it's like I hit the biggest pot holes. Thx.

if your doing to drop a sport, the other thing you should do if you havent all ready is ditch the mono leafs in the back, and get a 4 door leaf pack. that there makes a world of a difference

I
think you right. That's the reason I wanna lower it back down. I now have to take turns slow cause if I don't my rear sort of hops. I never touched my torsion bars when I brought my truck and it looks pretty nice and hight but I want to lower it, how much can I lower the front with just the torsion and is it true I have to realign it?? Thx.

Do you also need to replace the sway bar to do the drop?

I hope you still respond to this post. I have a 98 spot and I'm thinking on dropping it because on certain turns my trucks rear looses all traction and sort of hops around.
Upgrading the stock 19mm REAR sway bar may be your solution without lowering providing the tires and shocks are adequate and in safe condition. Also agree with vroom that ditching the stock mono leafs for 4-door multi leafs would make a big handling improvement. Must say a larger rear sway bar pretty much eliminated body roll and any traction issues when turning with my ST. Unfortunately the superb Explorer Express "X-Spec" rear sway bar is no longer available leaving the Hellwig 7648 or Addco 633 as your only options.

i can truthfully say this. mines dropped 2 inches, has 245 60 20's and a EE sway bar. i have done clover leafs at 90kms (around 55mph).

i can truthfully say this. mines dropped 2 inches, has 245 60 20's and a EE sway bar. i have done clover leafs at 90kms (around 55mph).
Thx. If that's the one in your profile photo it's nice. Now that we're on this subject I have another question. I have put just about all new in my front end from upper, lower a arms, ball joints, inner , outters, top, bottom, spindles, bearings, suspension bar links, new RS5000 RANCHO SHOCK and still I can feel every little bump, crack line as if i fall from two story high. You would think you hit a big ass hole when it would be just a 1" wide crack. My whole dash & console feels like it's gonna break right off. If there's one reason would want me to get rid off my truck that's it. Sorry for all the rambling. Any suggestions ??

Back