Lowered Mountaineer...Opinions?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowered Mountaineer...Opinions??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I lowered it 2" in the rear...the drivers side rear now sits at an even 32" from fender to ground and the passengers side rear is at 32 3/8".

So I was curious to see what the rear would sit at with my rear shocks removed. So I removed the rear shocks and put the wheels back on the ground. With the 2" drop blocks and no shocks the drivers side rear sat at about 31 3/4" to 31 7/8" and the passengers side rear sat at an even 32".

So you can clearly see that the shocks are playing a huge part in ride height. Honestly, I really liked the height it sat at when the shocks were removed. Now I'm debating if I should get some shocks for lowered vehicles. Any suggestions on shocks anyone?

Mike all of the quality shocks will be pressurized and raise the truck slightly, the IAS shocks did that also. I would keep the Bilsteins if I was you, I think that they do ride a little better.

FYI, my rear bottoms out on any significant bumps with the EE blocks. I have needed leaf springs because of that for a while now. I like the front ride height I have had, with both 30.5" and 30" tires.

I set my front heights by the suspension points, the lower control arm bolts. I have had the alignment tech level them on his machine. I go there with a ride height which I like, and tell them to lower or raise one side to level the suspension. It evens the handling to have the suspension level. All of the fenders on all trucks are not the same height left/right. Mine are different on both of my trucks, by at least 1/2" on each of them. Good luck,

Well looking at all the posts in this thread especially my last post (#23), and seeing my measurements, what do I have to do to get my rear down to how my vehicle was sitting with the 2" drop blocks and no shocks? I'm looking to get my rear anywhere around 31 1/2" to 32".

If the shocks are playing an issue here would getting a set of lowered Edelbrock IAS shocks help lower it a bit since my Bilsteins are for stock height? You would figure they are probably stiffer which is creating more of a tension on them with my vehicle being lowered. What about removing the helper spring on the leaf springs? Good idea or bad? That's the flat spring on the very bottom of the leaf spring. It's there to prevent bottoming out basically. That thing is pretty thick and would help as well.

I can't figure this one out. :(

Mike all of the quality shocks will be pressurized and raise the truck slightly, the IAS shocks did that also. I would keep the Bilsteins if I was you, I think that they do ride a little better.

Yeah but how much would the IAS shocks compared to the Bilsteins raise it I wonder? You think the Bilsteins ride better than the IAS even being lowered 2"?

Yes, the ride height difference between quality shocks like those will be little to nothing.

If you have to have the back lower(it doesn't affect alignment), and you think you have the room, do the 2" blocks then. My truck's springs won't let me go lower in back, your springs are obviously better. Mountaineers typically come with softer springs, which makes them lower and/or sag more.

Yes, the ride height difference between quality shocks like those will be little to nothing.

Hey Don, what about removing the helper spring on the leaf spring...I know that would help a little as far as getting it close to where I want the rear height.

Will it ride/handle any differently if that's removed? Should I do it or no?

I really wouldn't do that, I think that the ride would change a lot, the 4x4 guys do it to purposely get a looser suspension, and flexing. It would surely make you bottom out often, as you are very fortunate now to not be.

I think that the OEM springs are very good in ride quality etc, unless you change your needs, or they sag and lose their strength. Would the 5/8" drop with 2" blocks not be enough?

I really wouldn't do that, I think that the ride would change a lot, the 4x4 guys do it to purposely get a looser suspension, and flexing. It would surely make you bottom out often, as you are very fortunate now to not be.

I think that the OEM springs are very good in ride quality etc, unless you change your needs, or they sag and lose their strength. Would the 5/8" drop with 2" blocks not be enough?

Yeah that's true....Well the 2" blocks are perfect when the shocks aren't on but when they are on I wish I could get it a little lower. All I'm trying to do is get rid of that gap between my fenders and tires. I wan't a little gap but not much, I'm not going for a slammed look, just a sporty look. What do you think I should do? I've torn my rear apart 4 times now...I'm willing to keep doing it until I get it right and how I want it.

Note: the front isn't the issue here, that can always be adjusted to match the rear very easily, it's the rear I'm having problems getting right.

Remember how I have bottoming out now with the 1.375" blocks? You may have an issue with 2" blocks, if you go even lower I'd bet more that it will bottom out. Why not try Steeda 2" blocks, and drive it that way for a while? Give that a chance to grow on you, and let you test the handling and ride. Then you will know exactly what you want from there.

I'm about to change my 99 from 1" blocks to 1.5" blocks, that's my work truck which self levels with OEM air shocks. It was a lot of work to get it lowered 1" and for it to stay down that amount. I was worried that it would bottom out like my Mountaineer, but so far it never has once loaded. Good luck,

Remember how I have bottoming out now with the 1.375" blocks? You may have an issue with 2" blocks, if you go even lower I'd bet more that it will bottom out. Why not try Steeda 2" blocks, and drive it that way for a while? Give that a chance to grow on you, and let you test the handling and ride. Then you will know exactly what you want from there.

I'm about to change my 99 from 1" blocks to 1.5" blocks, that's my work truck which self levels with OEM air shocks. It was a lot of work to get it lowered 1" and for it to stay down that amount. I was worried that it would bottom out like my Mountaineer, but so far it never has once loaded. Good luck,

Well I have 2" blocks on it now. I also have the EE blocks which are 1 3/8". I just cant figure out why my rear isn't lowering as much as it should. I have the EE bump stops as well which will help for bottoming out.

Jon I hope that you are wrong, because I have not installed the Bilsteins yet, and I don't want it to go up. The IAS shocks were at least as pressurized as the Bilsteins, they both are strong, worth about 1/4" of height.

I think the 2" shorter shocks will do the trick.

I don't know but I think I'm ready to try them, I don't care...I can sell whatever parts I don't use.

Jon help me do the math....you have 29" diameter tires and the 1 3/8" EE drop blocks with Edelbrock lowered shocks and your rear sits at 31.25"

I have 30" diameter tires and with the 1 3/8" EE drop blocks and swapped springs with Bilstein shocks my rear sat at 32 1/2" on the drivers side rear and 32 7/8" on the passenger side rear.

So if your at 31.25" then I should be at 31.75" right? (with the different tire sizes) Other than the different shocks. Well how come I'm at 32 1/2" to 32 7/8" in my rear when I should be down to 31 3/4"? That is where I should be even after figuring out our tire sizes.

I don't know what else it could be other than the shocks to be honest. Do the math and tell me if I did it right. If I get the IAS lowered shocks I will have the complete EE xspec kit. The same as you Jon except the 1/2" difference in tire size diameter.

Jon I hope that you are wrong, because I have not installed the Bilsteins yet, and I don't want it to go up. The IAS shocks were at least as pressurized as the Bilsteins, they both are strong, worth about 1/4" of height.

Well I had the Edelbrock IAS (IAS's for stock height) on my car for a few weeks and now I have the Bilsteins for stock height. I swear the Bilsteins are stiffer, when I installed them I didn't have a good jack at the time and I had a hell of a time compressing the Bilsteins compared to the IAS's. I swear once I put the Bilsteins on that it also raised my vehicle a good amount. The valving is different though and you would think that a shock for a lowered vehicle would work better than a shock for stock height, why else would they make them? If you put on the Bilsteins it will go up a little, they are stiff but good...they have worked great so far.

The leaf springs can be a good bit different between trucks. I have 30" tires also, as 255/60/18's. Your tires are all 30", Jon measured counting the flats, yours will also measure about the same as his with a tape measure.

The IAS shocks are about $75 each, plus shipping. I'd send mine to you if I thought that they had enough life left for testing. I doubt that though. Night,

The leaf springs can be a good bit different between trucks. I have 30" tires also, as 255/60/18's. Your tires are all 30", Jon measured counting the flats, yours will also measure about the same as his with a tape measure.

The IAS shocks are about $75 each, plus shipping. I'd send mine to you if I thought that they had enough life left for testing. I doubt that though. Night,

Oh so our tire size is about the same? Well I just ordered a set of lowered IAS shocks. I figure whatever stuff I don't use I can sell. Don, if your looking into getting some Bilsteins I could possibly be selling mine now, I have to wait and see. If I do decide to get rid of them then I have a friend who might want them. If he decides not to get them I'll offer them to you next, they are pretty much brand new, I can give you the total mileage on them if you want...that's if you would be interested.

Thanks Mike and good luck. I have the five Bilsteins in boxes now, I'm almost ready to replace the whole front suspension. The upper control arms are the only parts I don't have new, they were all that I replaced 76k miles ago. I need to get back on that truck, I miss driving it, and just found a BW4406 to install. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Mike and good luck. I have the five Bilsteins in boxes now, I'm almost ready to replace the whole front suspension. The upper control arms are the only parts I don't have new, they were all that I replaced 76k miles ago. I need to get back on that truck, I miss driving it, and just found a BW4406 to install. Regards,

Ahhh the 4406 install, very nice. That's something I would love to do, just don't have a clue where to find a good one with low miles.

Back