Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Lowering 98 2wd

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by MurderedSport, May 26, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. MurderedSport

MurderedSport Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '01 Sport 4x4
    Hey guys. I own and explorer but my friend was looking at lowering his 1998 2wd ranger about 2-3 inches. So far we have done some research, but I was just double checking if what we were going to do was correct.

We were going to just cut the front springs and do a shackle flip on the rear. I have been searching on different ranger forums and even tried this forum to find a "how to" on shackle flipping but so far I can only find written instructions, no threads with pictures on what they are doing.

Would this method work? Would it need an alignment afterwards or any other modifications when its lowered about 2-3 inches?
    Thanks a lot:rangerred:
    Also as a side note I will get some pics posted of the ranger once we get the new Edge bed we got from the junkyard painted and put on. It might be a month or so.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. McCormack

McCormack Active Member

City, State:
    S.E. WI
    2000 Ranger
    Cutting your front springs will work. When I first got my '00 Ranger I experimented with softer springs in the front, and I played around with ride heights by cutting some of the springs that I installed. It's been said that cutting springs with a torch will mess with the spring's temper, so I used a circular saw with a metal cutting blade.

Although I myself haven't messed with flipping shackles, it wouldn't be all that much work to try it, so if you can't get an answer you should just do it and see if it works.

4. MurderedSport

MurderedSport Active Member

'01 Sport 4x4
    If I cut the front springs I won't have to worry about camber issues or alignment right?
    Thanks for the reply.

5. SoHK_alumni

SoHK_alumni Active Member

City, State:
    Tampa, FL
    5.0 V8 2002 Ranger
    Depending on how far a drop/how much spring you cut you can get into alignment issues.

Does not take much drop to make moving the upper control arm brackets or getting longer upper control arms becomes needed.

6. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)