• Register Today It's free!

Lowering Kit

Diablo3305

Reaction score
City, State
Colts Neck, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Has anyone here ever installed a lowering kit. I was thinking of lowering my explorer 1 3/8 inches. I heard it gives it a better ride. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this, and knows how easy it is to do, and if in fact it does give a better ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lowering ??

My truck has been a yo-yo during the first six months that I owned it. First was the warrior shakle and torsion twist. My wife was not happy with the ride son back to stock it went. The following weekend I backed off the torsion bar adjustment bolts to lower the front 1 1/2 inches, installed some shorter bumpstops and then proceeded to do the rear. If you look at the monoleaf rear spring, you will notice stacked plates under the main leaf. Undo the center bolt and move the "spring pack" to the top of the spring, between the main leaf and spring pad. That will give you about 1 1/2 drop for the rear of your sport. After the changes have been made, please keep in mind that you will need to get a good quality alignment to accomodate the change in camber/caster & toe. The alignment will require a camber kit. The alignment will be in the ballpark of $125.00 to $150.00.

All you need after that is about $1,500 for wheels and tires. Please keep in mind that if you have the 16" wheels, the tires will rub the tops of the fenders.
The 275/55r17 on a 17x8 or 9 in rim seems to be the hot ticket.

if you are going to lower your sport, I would seriously first think of installing some good shocks. Like the eldebrocks for lowered explorers. I have them and they made a big difference. With stock shocks and the truck lowered I experienced a very bouncy feel. Even with the shocks definetly watch the big pot holes. Now with my truck lowered, with shocks, and new wheels and high performance tires it rides really well. Sticks to the road. WHen i had my truck only lowered I remembered going around big sweeping turns and the rear end "skipping" out on me. Just beware of that. I am not trying to say not to lower it, but if you are I would suggest to at least get some good shocks at the same time.

I JUST lowered mine (96 Limited).... just got in the house from finishing it. This was my second time. I first lowered it about 2 yrs ago and bought chrome cobra R rims and tires... this past winter i got to bug to lift it... looked cool but sucked in the handling department. drove it like that since this past december and back down to earth it just came. What a difference in handling. I also have the edlebrock shocks- work great. I have the explorer express lowering kit... next on my list is their anti sway bars :)
check out my truck in my sig.

Hey PUR PONY, what kind of fogs do you have?

Diablo3305:

to tell you the true ... I dont remember-lol.... they are small round projectors.. I have two on each side... mounted side by side. They are cheap though and keep burning bulbs. I dont even have them hooked up any more. I am waiting to get my 99-00 front bumper cover so I can get the Pilot blue len round lights for 99+

PUR PONY, I'm thinking about getting the Explorer Express lowering kit. Any disadvantages in your experience with it? (I accidentally emailed you about this, but I'm not able to receive email at this time - a reply here would be appreciated). Your truck looks great.

dyoung3:

I really like my EE kit. Was very simple to install. I dont know how much wrenching you do but I installed in myself in under three hours if i remember right. No one works on my truck but a few close friends and I. I did need to run a 3/8 front spacer cause of the tires rubbing on the a-arms but thats cause of my tire size. I would also recommend the edlebrock shocks for the lowering kit also. Not needed but big improvement-
good luck-

Yo Pur pony are you ready for the shift kit. i talked to the guys over their and they say the shift kit will fix your trans flare problem. oh the troll is lowered now with the exp epr kit it looks great he all has the shocks and sway bars to match.

blk mk8-

I will be getting the shift kit. I dont have time to install it just yet....and I am going to wait til my dad rolls in from florida cause he is going to help me with the install.. i have never played around with the insides of a tranny- he has. Could you e-mail me at Saleenlimited@yahoo.com with the info for ordering.. and you also said there were more pieces for an axtra $25 bucks or something- what was it for?? Thanks alot
I am upgrading my sway bars as we speak. Post some picks of trolls when its done-
later

I JUST lowered mine (96 Limited).... just got in the house from finishing it. This was my second time. I first lowered it about 2 yrs ago and bought chrome cobra R rims and tires... this past winter i got to bug to lift it... looked cool but sucked in the handling department. drove it like that since this past december and back down to earth it just came. What a difference in handling. I also have the edlebrock shocks- work great. I have the explorer express lowering kit... next on my list is their anti sway bars :)
check out my truck in my sig.

hey, i'm going to lower my 2000 xls with the explorer express lowering kit as well. this kit lowers the whole vehicle right? because i know some just lower the back, or just lower the front....so everything i need is gonnna be in the kit? and then i need an alignement? thanks for the help

This is the most epic revival :D almost 10 years to the day!

can ya help me?

Sorry man not me, im gonna be looking into lowering mine this summer possibly though.

to chime in for this gent, the EE kit sorta gets rid of the factory rake of the vehicle. It levels you out in the back with a 1 3/8 drop not 2 inch drop. So in short, you can pull your keys out and dimple (re-index them) and go lower to recreate the rake or leave it. I have mine 2 overall with the front maybe 2 1/2. I did not modify the bump stops and can always hear the front bottoming out. I also replaced all 5 shocks with Bilsteins all around, I do not recommend them for the front, go with Doestech.

Back