Lowering the Explorer | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

So has it ever been settled whether the flex or explorer H&R springs give the same drop or if one lowers the explorer more than the other? Going to be ordering springs in the next couple weeks or so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slikirish,

The Flex kit sits about an inch off the tires and you cannot tow with this kit.

The Ex kit, I have, sits .7" lower in the front and 1.3" lower in the rear. I have towed a 14' trailer with a 93 Grand Marquis and it put the rear level with the front. The kit on the H&R site states a lower drop because the Ex kit is for all Explorers. Our springs on the Sport already give it a lower stance, hence why only a small drop.

Depending on what you will use the Ex for depends on which kit to go with. I will end up staying with the Ex kit because I do tow a bit here and there.

Tonight I will post some pictures I took last weekend next to a 2015, mine is a 2014. It doesn't look like much of a drop till you see the pictures.

Hopefully that answers many questions.

Just lowered it, looks perfect. Question, anyone else experience a knocking sound here and there? Happens when I'm on city streets, sometimes on bumpy roads.

Just lowered it, looks perfect. Question, anyone else experience a knocking sound here and there? Happens when I'm on city streets, sometimes on bumpy roads.

Pictures please :) Of the truck not the knocking lol

I'll try and get some asap. I put 1 inch spacers in the front and 1.25 in the rear.

I just got my Sport done with the EX springs and I consider the drop rather substantial.

It does look nice and not complaining, but I think spacers are a must to achieve a good stance with the OE wheel. Mine are on the way.

You do feel the road more, and it IS noticeable. People who say they don't notice much difference must be driving on some plush roads or something. You will notice bumps more and there is more rebound than stock setup. Again not complaining, but those who haven't driven lowered vehicles before should know this.

The car does take corners much better now and I feel more confident putting power down through a curve.

In either case, the Curve Control will kick in when pushed too hard.

Peter

So measurements on the SPORT?? Anyone?? Flex and Exp... Trying to make a decision...

What do you want measured?

Wheel gap? Bumper to ground?

Ground to fender @ middle of wheel... Thanks.

Ground to fender @ middle of wheel... Thanks.

20140730_104836_zps6115662d.jpg

That's front or back? And is kind of leveled with the Exp springs??

Just received my spacers from Motorsport Tech (www.motorsport-tech.com).

25mm rear, and 20mm front.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfvmcaap24ijq8b/spc1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pe2a3frf1gnebl8/spc2.jpg

Thought I'd share pictures for those thinking about going this route. Just temporary for me as I have been looking at wheels for a few weeks now trying to find the right ones. Think I am about to pull the trigger!

IMO the Explorer is a tricky vehicle when it comes to choosing wheels. I have seen some choices that are not very appealing at all. There have been only 1-2 wheels I have seen here that execute well on the vehicle to me.

Hope this works. Had to switch from photobucket to image shack. 1.25 inch spacers in the rear, 1 inch up front. Thinking about going even wider, 1.5 r and move 1.25 up front.
https://imageshack.com/i/p9xPjovhj

Hope this works. Had to switch from photobucket to image shack. 1.25 inch spacers in the rear, 1 inch up front. Thinking about going even wider, 1.5 r and move 1.25 up front.
https://imageshack.com/i/p9xPjovhj

I think it looks great just as it sits! Big difference, nice job. You are on the Explorer or Flex springs?

Thanks! I'm on the Explorer springs. The drop was perfect, IMO.

I just got my Sport done with the EX springs and I consider the drop rather substantial.

It does look nice and not complaining, but I think spacers are a must to achieve a good stance with the OE wheel. Mine are on the way.

You do feel the road more, and it IS noticeable. People who say they don't notice much difference must be driving on some plush roads or something. You will notice bumps more and there is more rebound than stock setup. Again not complaining, but those who haven't driven lowered vehicles before should know this.

The car does take corners much better now and I feel more confident putting power down through a curve.

THANK YOU. I always read (everywhere, not just here) people saying their lowered vehicle rides like stock. That's just not how it is, in my experience. This should be required reading for anyone lowering theirs. In fact, usually a car will ride very smooth and nice for a bout two months, then you feel every little bump in the road.

Just dropped mine off today for H&R springs to be installed. Explorer edition.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picked up the Ex today. Lowered on the H&R Explorer springs. The front seems about right but the rear seems high. Maybe they just haven't settled yet or something. I'm hoping the rear will drop down a good bit more. Here are a couple quick pics while I'm sitting at kid's soccer practice.

BFA895E2-E956-4D7F-ACB2-23DC0FFB4333_zpsdfdoh45o.jpg

7BF4FA8A-6F57-40A5-989E-8EB996C0E5E5_zps4vagscyy.jpg

Back