Lowering the Explorer | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

No noises at all with mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone experienced any noise after lowering? It seem if I turn the wheels slightly I get a creaking noise? Other than that I can not reproduce it.

Typical, probably a bushing strained from stress.

Has anyone experienced any noise after lowering? It seem if I turn the wheels slightly I get a creaking noise? Other than that I can not reproduce it.

You need to neutralize the bushings after lowering. What that means is that you need to crack loose all the suspension bushings bolts to allow them to settle in their new position. Remember, they were in a different position when they were tightened at the factory. This should be done with the vehicle on the ground. Ignoring this part puts stress on the bushings and reduces their life.

You need to neutralize the bushings after lowering. What that means is that you need to crack loose all the suspension bushings bolts to allow them to settle in their new position. Remember, they were in a different position when they were tightened at the factory. This should be done with the vehicle on the ground. Ignoring this part puts stress on the bushings and reduces their life.

How many are you anticipating? Are you referencing to just loosen and then re tighten in "new" position once settled on the ground?

Thanks

How many are you anticipating? Are you referencing to just loosen and then re tighten in "new" position once settled on the ground?

Thanks
Yes, then retighten them. I believe its only 2 or 3 per side. I asked the shop that did the alignment to do the deed. Was so sick of screwing around with these giant 200ft-lb bolts, I didnt want to touch any more of them then I had to, to swap the springs.

Does anyone know the correct orientations of the front strut top hat? Im thinking mine or incorrect causing the noise and the spring not seated correctly in the radius it should be traveling in.

Last edited:

Does anyone know the correct orientations of the front strut top hat? Im thinking mine or incorrect causing the noise and the spring not seated correctly in the radius it should be traveling in.

The orientation of the strut top hat only impacts camber. I believe it can only be installed with an arrow towards the engine or 180 degrees opposite. Either one of these is fine and would not cause any noise.

The orientation of the strut top hat only impacts camber. I believe it can only be installed with an arrow towards the engine or 180 degrees opposite. Either one of these is fine and would not cause any noise.

Any other suggestions for where this noise is coming from when the car is parked and I turn the wheels and it creaks from the top of the strut towers. H&R thinks it maybe the hat in the wrong orientation so the spring is not traveling on the proper radius and the noise is it bumping along. Do you think it is just a dirty piece of rubber up there that the spring is traveling on. Dropping off at shop on fri. I will follow up. Grasping at straws as there was no noise before and after the spring install its all I can hear.

The spring may not have been seated properly in its rubber perch when installed or moved when the strut shaft nut was tightened. You should be able to see if its seated correctly by lifting up that side of the vehicle. I can't think of anything else there that could make noise. You can't really mess up the pillow block bearings, I don't think.

I would say lift up the side that is squeaking and check to see if the spring is seated properly. Whether its upper end is sitting in its pocket in the rubber perch.

Is there anyway to get the bottom rubber piece back under the spring. I was turning the spring to make sure it was perched correctly and I popped off it.

I think you will need a spring compressor to compress the spring so you can put the rubber perch back in and/or re-seat the spring.

Which means removing it from the truck. DAMN IT!!

Did you change the shocks? Is it recommended to change shocks when you lower a vehicle?

It is recomended to change to dampers with valving matching the springs. I am not aware of ANY performance dampers for the explorer.

Did you change the shocks? Is it recommended to change shocks when you lower a vehicle?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is recomended to change to dampers with valving matching the springs. I am not aware of ANY performance dampers for the explorer.

There are not that many miles on the shocks. The silicone has seemed to help and quite possibly the springs just settling in.

Back