Lowering the Explorer | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

Lowering The XSport

Anyone have any experience with the LIVERNOIS MOTORSPORTS EXPLORER SPORT HRS PERFORMANCE LOWERING KIT?
I've read some posts about problems with alignment (camber) using other lowering kits. Looks like Livernois provides rear camber bolts to alleviate this problem?

Anyone replacing their shocks/struts when lowering? Any suggestions here?

If I lower it I will probably end up switching the stock 255/50/20 tires to 275/45/20. Anyone going any wider than 275?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no reason to supplement the lowering kit with a different shock. You are not altering the geometry of the suspension enough to need to do more than install our kit.

As for wheel width, you need to be very careful with altering your wheel setup too greatly from the stock configuration. The ABS module has very tight parameters that it needs to operate inside of. Too wide of a wheel will have the same effect as an offset or a differently proportioned wheel/tire ratio.

Anyone have any experience with the LIVERNOIS MOTORSPORTS EXPLORER SPORT HRS PERFORMANCE LOWERING KIT?
I've read some posts about problems with alignment (camber) using other lowering kits. Looks like Livernois provides rear camber bolts to alleviate this problem?

If I lower it I will probably end up switching the stock 255/50/20 tires to 275/45/20. Anyone going any wider than 275?
There are existing threads on lowering the Explorer and yours has been merged with this one. You may also want to check out; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394483

Peter

I run 285/40's, but on 22's.

Does anyone know the correct orientations of the front strut top hat? Im thinking mine or incorrect causing the noise and the spring not seated correctly in the radius it should be traveling in.

image10.jpg

Here's a picture of mine, u see the dimple? It has to be to the outside.

so youre lowered to with h&r explorer spring with 285's any rubbing issues?

Click on 'quote' of a post you want to reply to, then they know whom you are addressing.

Ok, I'm not lowered on H&R springs. Just on 285/40/22's, and as of today run 3/4 front and 1.0" rear adapters...no problems.

frank

image_zps1umgrp3l.jpg

Does anyone make a spacer to go above or below the rear springs to raise the vehicle some? Unfortunately the h&r sprongs did not level it... it is noticeably lower in the rear which I'm not particularly fond of. Trying to raise the rear up about .5-1"

Also, does livernois only sale their rear camber kit with their springs? I don't need the springs as I already had the h&r kit, but I do need the camber kit, as I now have a very negative camber situation.

Just wondering if anyone lowered their 16 Sport and can provide any info on the ride quality.
Looking to get the H&R's for my 16 Sport, but wanted to see if it would sacrifice the ride in any way (more bumpy, stiffer, etc).

I've read through some of the Lowering threads but couldn't find any specific info on ride quality.

I could not feel ANY difference in driving on normal pavement. Neither could my wife. My guess is that the spring rate increase is marginal and it is more likely to bottom out if taken offroad or on large bumps. Doesn't concern me as it will never see anything beyond gravel and we avoid or slow down for bumps.

I could not feel ANY difference in driving on normal pavement. Neither could my wife. My guess is that the spring rate increase is marginal and it is more likely to bottom out if taken offroad or on large bumps. Doesn't concern me as it will never see anything beyond gravel and we avoid or slow down for bumps.
Thanks Slicky!
BTW.. which springs did you install? and how much did it lower the front and back?

Just wondering if anyone lowered their 16 Sport and can provide any info on the ride quality.
Looking to get the H&R's for my 16 Sport, but wanted to see if it would sacrifice the ride in any way (more bumpy, stiffer, etc).

I've read through some of the Lowering threads but couldn't find any specific info on ride quality.
As advised, your thread has been merged with this one. I did a 'Search' on this thread and there were a few posts that came up regarding ride quality.

Peter

Thanks Slicky!
BTW.. which springs did you install? and how much did it lower the front and back?
Explorer specific H&Rs. Whatever drop they specify. It looks and.drives great

so whats the verdict on towing... exp springs ok.. flex not ok..
if exp.. can you tow the full 5k..
and... as long as the wheel dia is the same or lower.. you should have the same towing capacity of the exp with aftermarket wheels..

so whats the verdict on towing... exp springs ok.. flex not ok..
if exp.. can you tow the full 5k..
and... as long as the wheel dia is the same or lower.. you should have the same towing capacity of the exp with aftermarket wheels..
Wheel diameter variance should not exceed 3% from OEM.

I have had my H&R Springs on for 2 years now and have experencied zero problems. It has been to the dealership once for a key fob issue and they asked if i had changed the springs. The mechanic comented on my truck and said I wish they came this way from the factory!

DSC_6865.JPG

DSC_6867.JPG

DSC_6873.JPG

DSC_6878.JPG

DSC_6880.JPG

DSC_6887.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone lowered their 2017 Sport yet and if so could you please share some pics?

Thanks.

Darren

Back