Lowering the Explorer | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

I meant to reply earlier but I forgot. I checked my springs this morning and I installed them how the factory were, so the lettering on mine are upside down. I've had no problems at all with them installed that way.
Any pics yet would love to see it. Also how is it driving?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any pics yet would love to see it. Also how is it driving?

image_9.jpg

This is mine, if you refer to pix of the springs, I'll take some pics tomorrow and I'll post them. Ride quality it's pretty good, I love the way it feels

This is mine, if you refer to pix of the springs, I'll take some pics tomorrow and I'll post them. Ride quality it's pretty good, I love the way it feels
Looks good thanks. I want to do this but I have to find someone to do this for me.

Looks good thanks. I want to do this but I have to find someone to do this for me.
You realize that by doing it that you'll be voiding the power train warranty. Best to look for a kit that has its own warranty to cover any power train issues in that case.

Peter

My H&R Springs arrived this week for my 2017. Will post pics in two weeks after my dealership installs them. In my case, they are honouring full warranty because they are doing the work. Worth asking your dealership about as well.

Darren

My H&R Springs arrived this week for my 2017. Will post pics in two weeks after my dealership installs them. In my case, they are honouring full warranty because they are doing the work. Worth asking your dealership about as well.

Darren
Put before and after pictures if you can. Also what dealer you using?

I meant to reply earlier but I forgot. I checked my springs this morning and I installed them how the factory were, so the lettering on mine are upside down. I've had no problems at all with them installed that way.
Thank you for your response on the springs "XpirSprt" .. I have had no issues either but felt it best to match the factory setup. Good deal !! I must say that it's a curse being a bit **** .. I did want the lettering right side up so forget doing that I will for sure now.

Observation .. I'm using the factory shock and strut but their rebound with the H&Rs response isn't very controlled. The overall ride continues to improve though going from noticeably stiffer than factory to more compliant. Nicer ride on smooth surfaces than when the going gets rough. My drop front is 1.5 and rear about 2.0. Much prefer this new stance over factory though.

Finally had a chance to get my H&R Sport Springs installed in the 2017 Sport. These are the day I brought it home so they still need to settle a bit more.
2017Explorer_1_zpsrqvlzo2w.jpg

2017Explorer_3_zpsirfp5rtv.jpg

2017Explorer_2_zpsc338z7qx.jpg

Welded in stainless Flowmaster Outlaws will be next to give it a deeper tone.

Darren

Here is a Pic of my 2016 Sport lowered on H&R springs. It rides very similar to stock, but I have experience some creaking noises coming front my front and rear suspension. I'm not sure whats causing this and if other people have experienced a similar issue. Other then that I really enjoy it!
15085646_10210980715651320_3823686876233853877_n.jpg

Last edited:

You need to cut the factory studs flush with the adaptors so that your wheels will sit flush.

IMG_1778_zpssz2tmzs1.jpg

Last edited:

I used Explorer specific and not the Flex springs. No issues or noises at all to speak of. Good luck!

Darren

I lowered mine 1" in front, I had the front suspension retorqued at the new ride height, I'll see if the slight creak goes away over speed bumps at slow speed. Its a very faint noise and barely audible. If not I guess it probably wasnt engineered to ride at a lowered height :D

Hey what's up everybody! Finally got myself to join this group after seeing so many interesting posts on different sites. I'm the lucky owner of 2012 Explorer. I'm looking with help on lowering my ride but I'm not looking to sacrifice the ride. It currently sits on some OEM 20" rims. Any help would be greatly appreciate it.
I'd post a pic if I knew how. :dunno:

Hey what's up everybody! Finally got myself to join this group after seeing so many interesting posts on different sites. I'm the lucky owner of 2012 Explorer. I'm looking with help on lowering my ride but I'm not looking to sacrifice the ride. It currently sits on some OEM 20" rims. Any help would be greatly appreciate it.
I'd post a pic if I knew how. :dunno:
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I found this thread using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (upper right) and merged yours with it. There are a few other threads on 'lowering' as well.
To post pictures you can take out an Elite membership and post directly from your device using the "Upload a File" option or use a 3rd party site such as Photobucket. Note pictures posted using a 3rd party site have a habit of disappearing after a while.
Please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin when you post. This can at times be helpful information. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I found this thread using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (upper right) and merged yours with it. There are a few other threads on 'lowering' as well.
To post pictures you can take out an Elite membership and post directly from your device using the "Upload a File" option or use a 3rd party site such as Photobucket. Note pictures posted using a 3rd party site have a habit of disappearing after a while.
Please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin when you post. This can at times be helpful information. Thanks.

Peter
Thanks Pete!

Can anybody with the OE 20" 2013-15 Sport wheels confirm whether or not the wheel studs have to be trimmed in order to get the wheels to seat properly? I'm looking at either 0.75" or 1.00" BORA spacers.

I've seen several mentions of cutting wheel studs for 2016+, but haven't seen any confirmation on whether or not its required for the earlier wheels.

Thanks!

Sharp ride! Very nice touch with the springs and wheel spacers together. Love the look of these XSports when lowered.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help unleash that untapped EcoBoost potential under the hood. A good tune and some bolt ons make one incredibly fun ride. Also helps gain some MPG at the same time. Win win situation across the board.
How much MPG would a tune help on a 2014 Explorer Sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much MPG would a tune help on a 2014 Explorer Sport?
I did a quick search and didn't see anyone bragging about gains in mpg. It was all about power, so I am guessing that any marginal gains, if any, would be offset by more aggressive driving and turbo use.:dunno: I recommend posing your question in one of the several threads on 'tuning'.

Peter

Back