Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

LS Swap? Has anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by 99SportX, December 22, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 99SportX

99SportX Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Duluth, MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 Ex & Mounty
      I will document it as best I can. The power goal is 5-600hp at the rear tires, so we shall see what happens. lol

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Awon2zip

Awon2zip Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver, Colorado
      1994 Ford Explorer Sport
      Anyone follow SloppyMechanics on YouTube? Guy swapped in a 6.0 from a van with 226,000 miles into his Colorado. Installed a turbo and had 460 hp. He eventually upgraded the turbo and threw on a 50 shot of nitrous and made 1067 hp on a stock LS. Only thing changed was the can. I also think he swapped an Explorer rear rend on the Colorado.

Here's a vid of him running 9.78 in the 1/4 mile.

4. 99SportX

99SportX Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Duluth, MN
      1999 Ex & Mounty
      Mr. Happel's build is one of my inspirations for sure.

5. 99SportX

99SportX Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Duluth, MN
      1999 Ex & Mounty
      Fired it up today. I hope to get it out on the road tomorrow. I need a buddy to help me get a nice safe low boost tune on it for powercruise this coming weekend. Here is a pic from when i was doing wiring the other day.

IMG_3756.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    6. Awon2zip

Awon2zip Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver, Colorado
      1994 Ford Explorer Sport
      Yes! Any exhaust video clips??

7. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I'm super impressed.
      There must have been all kinds of challenges to overcome.
      From what I can tell, all you have lost so far is air conditioning, rad overflow, and wiper juice.

What was your attack on the motor mounts?
      What happened with the transmission?
      How are you handling the gauges?

So many questions, lol.

8. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Excellent Eric, great work to get it all arranged well.

I watched on the Corral as a member there transplanted an LS3 into his Volvo, now listed as the fifth best project on a car magazine's site. The engine is very compact, exhaust too, and the aftermarket supports swaps with wiring etc.

9. 99SportX

99SportX Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Duluth, MN
      1999 Ex & Mounty
      I will do a basic thread later with all the specs, but for now I will say that I have an overflow tank and washer tank that are going on shortly. The only real losses are AC, cruise control, and gauge cluster. The gauges will be replaced with a digital dash at some point. The time crunch I am under has led me to cut some corners and I will have to circle back around to clean some things up down the road. The goal was to make it as much of a bolt in swap as possible, meaning little to no modifications to body or frame, only to bolt on stock parts. I modded a stock trans crossmember and made motor mounts that drop onto the factory threaded stud mounts. Time will tell what power they can hold. All in all I feel this arrangement is far more serviceable than the 5.0 engine installation.

• Like Like x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
    10. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      Looking forward to it.

11. EFFalcon

EFFalcon New Member

City, State:
      Melbourne, Victoria
      2000 Explorer
      thats brilliant, i'm amazed it fits.

can't wait to hear more details

12. 99SportX

99SportX Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Duluth, MN
      1999 Ex & Mounty
      Had it at the track for Powercruise USA this weekend. Basically you get to drive the road course and fly down the main straight which is normally the drag strip. There are a lot of cars on the track at any given time so it can get a little wild but for the most part people behave. I have some heating issues and some more tuning to take care of but overall the thing held up ok and it's a blast. It is way quicker than before and there is still plenty of room to turn up the boost.

IMG_3789.JPG IMG_3798.JPG IMG_3800.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    13. EFFalcon

EFFalcon New Member

City, State:
      Melbourne, Victoria
      2000 Explorer
      So you went RWD in the end yeah?

14. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    15. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Excellent, I'm glad you are enjoying it, good fun.

16. 99SportX

99SportX Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Duluth, MN
      1999 Ex & Mounty
      Thanks, guys. Yes it is RWD. I do think that with some custom oil pan work that 4wd could work. I was initially laying out the swap in an awd v8 model and tried to get away with leaving the diff in but had to pull it because of an oil pan interference. Transfer case clearance is an unknown but I would like to think it could work out. The trick is getting the front output to shoot through above the trans and torsion bar mount crossmember.

17. EFFalcon

EFFalcon New Member

City, State:
      Melbourne, Victoria
      2000 Explorer
      Was it a rear or front sump engine?

18. 99SportX

99SportX Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Duluth, MN
      1999 Ex & Mounty
      Rear. The engine/trans came out of one of those Isuzu NPR delivery trucks apparently. I was told that It is basically the same as an 06 silverado 2500hd.

19. Brodyp

Brodyp New Member

City, State:
      Jacksonville,Fl
      2003 Explorer sport trac
      For the wiring did you make your own harness or get a custom one? And do you have any pics of the motor mounts? plan on putting a NA 5.3 in my 03 sport trac soon, trying to get a plan together first.

20. 12345678911234567891

12345678911234567891 New Member

City, State:
      Illinois
      1999 mercury mountaineer
      99sportx by any chance did you finish the project? im trying to swap my 99 mountaineer with a 6.0 ls too

21. 12345678911234567891

12345678911234567891 New Member

City, State:
      Illinois
      1999 mercury mountaineer
      did you had clearance issues? what motor mounts did you use? how much power are you pushing with 6.0
      i have a 6.0 ls with the 4l80e trans that im planing to put in. what exhaust headers did you use? just trying to get as much info before i start mine

22. 99SportX

99SportX Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Duluth, MN
      1999 Ex & Mounty
      Sorry, guys. I haven't been real great about supplying info on this project. It is a large project but really wasn't that terrible. What made it terrible was me pulling the 5.0 out and having it on the track with the 6.0 in ~3 weeks. haha I did complete a good chunk of the fabrication and figuring about a month before that by using a 99 limited parts car I have but it was still a lot of work once the 5.0 came out.

If you are willing to ditch AC, you have the room to fit an LS. If I had the time, I would have had a custom radiator made. The rad needs to be pushed as far forward as possible. I ended up buying an aluminum radiator and modifying the fill neck, port sizes, added mounts, and a drain cock. I am no expert tig welder and it therefore leaked but JB weld is your friend. LOL I plan to redo this at some point. I ended up going to a 160 deg thermostat.

Mounts were pretty easy. I attached pics. Trans crossmember is just a hack and mod of the factory unit. For the accessories, I used a kit from SSD Billet. The factory 5.0 power steering hoses worked perfect for me, I just had to trim the return line a little. Depending on where you mount the engine, the lines may or may not work. I had a terrible power steering whine and I couldn't figure the cause. This spring I determined that the reman pump I bought was defective from day 1. The camaro pump plays nice with the ford rack.

I did a turbo, so the hot side was all a custom job. Drivers side started from a "up and forward" ebay turbo header with one of the primaries rerouted to go around the steering shaft. Drivers manifold is a vette C5 header with the flange cut and flipped to have the exhaust shoot straight up and route over to the turbo. If I were to do it all again with improved welding skills, I would try harder to figure out a log setup. I just wanted to start from the most complete parts and work from there because of time and my limited welding skill. I would venture to say that headers for a NA setup will be far more of a challenge.

Turbo is VS Racing 7875 Billet and I am running their wastegate and BOV as well. Intercooler is just an ebay special, sized to squeeze between the rails.

Stock Gen IV 6.0 with only a jegs cam, PAC 1218 springs, and opened up gap on the piston rings.

Fuel system is a walbro 450, AN lines up to a regulator in the engine bay. I have a flex fuel sensor plumbed into the return line, but it isn't wired yet. 210lb bosch injectors, not needed at the moment but looking to go big down the road on E85 with a second fuel pump. LOL

Torque converter made by jakes performance to their recommended specs based on my setup. 4L80E with transgo HD2 shift kit, custom driveshaft with 1350 size joints. 3.73LS 8.8 rear, standard issue.

Engine management is a MS3 goldbox from EFI Source including a complete plug and play wiring harness. I am still working on making my factory cluster work, just haven't had time to mess with it.

I'm slowly working on tuning it and getting more power out of the setup. It is fun to mess around with, that's for sure. Maybe one day I will hit a dyno to see what it makes. My only real goal right now is to get it to around 550 rwhp

I am a ford fan, but for me learning turbos and tuning, I wanted a setup that had minimal money into the motor itself. There is no thousands of dollars in fancy machine work and internals to get flushed down the drain if something unfortunate happens. Its a stock motor out of salvage with some minor mods. The rest of the money went to auxiliary components that aren't likely to get damaged from engine failure. A stock 302 just wouldn't take this same abuse from a turbo and a n00b like me, though I would like to try someday.

4.JPG

5.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

12.JPG

Last edited: June 10, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
    23. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      It's a shame how nicely that fits in there width wise. I just can't do the ford to chevy swap. Very nice job in a short amount of time. All builds have bugs to work out and I'm sure you'll get over the 500hp mark.

I'm in the middle of swapping a 5.4 in a Ranger and it's a wide monster that really can't compete with an LS in Stock form. My goal is 400 with a procharger but I'll be glad to just drive it at this point. It's not much deeper than a 4.0 sohc but it's a foot wider. I've got probably 10 hours into just getting it to steer.

24. 99SportX

99SportX Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Duluth, MN
      1999 Ex & Mounty
      Thanks. I hear you on the ford vs. chevy thing. It was hard to come to that decision. It makes me a little sad but then I floor it and the sadness goes away. :D

That sounds like a cool build but very challenging. I know many have talked about doing a 4.6 over the years but I don't believe I have seen a successful mod engine installed in anything 2nd gen explorer or ranger based. I don't get out much, though so maybe by now someone has done it? I think a coyote swap would be cool.

25. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The modular Ford engines are all too big, Ford made the blocks too tall, and the heads too wide. Chevy did what Ford could have, revamped the OHV heads and intake, and then integrated variable valve timing. That made the OHV engines viable for another couple of decades, Ford gave up on the OHV's.

The 302 is a great platform, but the needed upgrade aftermarket parts put them in a similar price territory as building a hot modular Ford.

The fuel and brake lines are the biggest hurdle to a decent exhaust in these 2nd gen trucks. Those I hope can be rerouted inside the frame a little farther, and come up through the top of the frame.

26. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      There has been a few 4.6 2v, 3v and 4v swaps but only ford svt completed a 1 off ranger with the 5.4 2v lightning engine. I have yet to find a successful running and driving 5.4 swap in a street truck (Truck without a 3" body). Now I am talking about a 2wd coil sprung ranger chassis, the explorer / ranger torsion bar frame is about 4" skinnier and doesn't have the room to go modular.

The only easy part of my swap is the braking/steering pump. A mustang hydroboost setup bolts in and stock lines go right into to the rack.