Lucus ATF additive don't do it! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lucus ATF additive don't do it!

RickOTR

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4X4
Had a problem with my X making a loud whining and clunking noise coming from trans when coasting from high speed. Adjusted the bands with no luck. Dropped the pan and lord and behold what did I find, a partially clogged filter full of some form of wax material. Mind you I just changed the filter 6k miles ago and exchanged 10 qts of Mobile 1 ATF then did what I should never had done, added 1 bottle of Lucas ATF additive.

I ended up removing the valve body and all the small valves to clean the bores of that nasty wax material. Ended up replacing the EPC, TCC, and four shift solenoids as they were clogged as well. After putting everything back together with new filter and 10 qts of SYN ATF at a cost of around $300, she runs like a charm. Whining and clunk are now gone. Never again will I use additives in my X again or any of my other vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Smart
I agree no additives!!!!
I hope that synthetic ATF you used is Mercon V compatible?
Must use only Mercon V in your 1997 5r55e

I have been known to use some products from Lubeguard but I trust these products very much, they are actually provided to me for use in a new trans from my transmission builder, Lubeguard is the ONLY Thing I will add to the mercon V, ever, period.......

Been using Mobile 1 ATF since I bought it new 21 years ago with no problems. Got 360K miles out of first trans, and up until now, no problems with second trans with 300k miles. Mobile 1 says it's Mercon V compatible. I've heard good things about Lubegard for Ford Mercon transmissions but after this experience, I'll just stay with regular fluid/filter changes.

You’ve got 660k on your truck?

Which engine... 4.0 sohc? Original engine? Supercharged?

Mobil one is excellent choice, it is my first choice for oil and trans fluids for all of my vehicles, even our diesels.

Yeah he says over 600K on his 97!
My guess is its an OHV
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

4.0L SOHC engine and it actually has 660114 as of today. The SOHC is a solid engine if you take care of it and you replace the timing chains, cassettes, and tensioners early along with regular maintenance. This is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

Didn’t your odometer break a few times already? I don’t have as many miles as you, but am on my third instrument cluster/odometer.

And you are also still driving original engine?

Did you ever have it supercharged?

Never had a problem with speedometer or odometer but it still has the Explorer Express Supercharger. If you don't put the pedal to the metal all the time, it will last.

Rick, are you saying the wax buildup was from the Lucas?

According to the first post the wax buildup was there during a pan drop, and then used the Lucas, which probably dislodged it from everywhere.

That’s an impressive amount of miles on any motor/transmission combo, especially a SOHC with a supercharger, and and 5r. Hats off to your maintenance and luck!

I agree we never see a sohc engine with a failed longblock, its always the dang chains and tensioners......
Let this be a lesson to all you young ones, CHANGE YOUR OIL, service your transmission, and don't skimp on new parts for the timing setup (ford says to change tensioners at 90K miles)!!!

LOL
660K miles WOWEE!!
My BII has like 370K on it and 7 transmissions....hahahaha it's ok she is my test mule

4.0L SOHC engine and it actually has 660114 as of today. The SOHC is a solid engine if you take care of it and you replace the timing chains, cassettes, and tensioners early along with regular maintenance. This is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

That's pretty good RickOTR!

How many time have you replaced timing chain components in that time? Ever have the transmission serviced other than fluids?

I agree with 410, put a red bottle of Lubegard in whenever using Mercon V. Recommended and sold by many transmission shops. It's not need when using a synthetic ATF like Mobil 1. Mercon V is semi-synthetic.

Mbrooks420 said:

1967c1bb-5e65-4630-87e7-a78134dcabd9-jpeg.jpg

..and I now believe.

Back