Lug stud popped off/Fixed but now a new knocking sound (like cv joint) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lug stud popped off/Fixed but now a new knocking sound (like cv joint)

How often has your Explorer's lug studs broken?

• Mine never popped! (just wait)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once (blue moon was out)

• What's a lug stud, vern?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnnyMarko

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Hey guys

I yanked & rebuilt my first v6 4.0l solely using this amazing forum n my Haynes book in sept..

Now I'm back because I don't know squat outside the engine and I'm unsure if my troubleshooting skills are sending me Barking up the wrong tree.
Soo...
I was turning right into a drive thru under 10 mph last night.. When I heard a pop! Initially I thought I ran over someone's trash and was concerned for my tire pressure.

I realized that I had lost my entire lug stud after my steering wheel made a 'da-lub' thud like a faulty cv joint thru my steering wheel it increases with speed and especially when turning to the right.

I've removed the broken stud hoping the tire/stud problem would resolve the noise. (actually I got the stud on and tightened them all and broke another one thinking it was the new one that needed torquing down)
After picking up all my tools I had thrown I replaced the second one and voila I'm... STILL HEARING THE NOISE

OK so who's thinking cv Joint?

I inspected my tires for bubbles as it sounds like it takes one rotation to hear the sound repeat so I was hoping for a simple fix..
Also this noise appeared immediately after the stud popped.. Someone said it could be a simple alignment issue idk but I know it's a challenge getting the hub off I was able to get 3 bolts out with a wrench no socket fits in there I have.. But still couldn't make it move..

Sorry to rant guys feel free to txt me 6315385330 or email Jgm92085@gmail.com
If you have any info that could help thx guys ur the best

The first thing I would do is replace the other 3 studs. Having 2 break would lead me to believe there may be problems with the rest of them.
What do you torque the lug nuts to?

Two metal fatigued lug bolts?:eek:
Danger, Will Robinson!
I wonder if this is why people replace the hub when they do wheel bearings.
Or is that just to buy insurance for the new bearing?

Anyway, get its paw up off the ground and jerk on the tire to see if the bearing went wonky.
That's what happened to mine.
While you're at it, you can check the other steering parts.
The "correct" torque setting in my Owner's Manual is 100 ft-lbs.
Harbor Freight, $20 for a 1/2 drive torque wrench in that range.

Back