M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Jegs isn't any better, I've had parts on backorder through them over 10 months before. Sucks though and this is why ebay crap is taking over.

Just called Summit back and ask for a supervisor. He refunded me for the two fittings that was labeled as reusable. He also apologized about the fuel line that's labeled gasoline safe that can't be used for gasoline. He put in a manufacturer alert defect who were the rubber stainless steel lines,to be changed from "gasoline safe'' to ""gasoline safe,see PTFE lines"

Least he was little more helpful, i wanted to push the issue and see if he would refund me the $284 i just spent but figured i wouldn't push my luck..

Ranger is officially parked till new motor is back together. .

As par with my luck the slave started leaking BADDD and the clutch no longer works:angryfire:

Any idea why the slave cylinder is leaking? Was it new? Aftermarket?
Which vehicle are you going to fix first, Ranger or Aviator?

Any idea why the slave cylinder is leaking? Was it new? Aftermarket?
Which vehicle are you going to fix first, Ranger or Aviator?
Its a older ford unit,its been slowly leaking for about a month..it finally just went all the way out,just pumps fluid right out it now..

The ranger is first up as i pretty much have all the parts.just need my parts back from Tom,flywheel bolts,a slave for the t5 and intercooler gaskets. .

The intercooler i have now uses a tranny cooler and has 3/8" lines and core is only 3/4" thick with a overall thickness of 1"..ive found a thicker one that matches but core is 3/4" thicker at 1.5" and uses 1/2"npt fittings,im going to make a 3/4" spacer on the water jet for the plates making it 1.75" thick overall,then will mill/drill where the larger hoses come out..

when i tried to stack 2- 1" plates it wouldnt clear even with my body lift,the 2 coolers stacked with gaskets came to be about 2.25,the thickest i could clear was 1.75"..

This should help drastically with flow and cooling..

Here is the plates..only have one of these now,i sold the second one as stacked together they didnt clear..its just two plates with a cooler in the middle..
20140904_111951_zpslkont1bj.jpg

Here is whats in between the plates now.
Screenshot_2017-06-11-21-21-09_zpsrvc5hrz8.png

And here is the larger cooler i found..
Screenshot_2017-06-11-22-41-25_zpsoygwk8b7.png

Cool stuff!
Hope you get your parts back soon!

Just a little update.not much has happened, ive been super busy..

Tom did receive my parts and has a brand new set of plates to ship out but contacted me yesterday about the pushrods..apparently there has been 3 plate changes,i have one of the first ones..each change used different length pushrods.this newest plate uses the longest and he's waiting for a new shipment of rods to come in..Said ince they are in he will ship it back to me,should be this week..

Ive ordered that thicker cooler and some other parts..

Im having trouble finding OE flywheel bolts for the 8 bolt flywheel used on 97 and up 8 bolt crankshafts. .anyone have a source? ? All my current motors are 6 bolt but new crankshaft and flywheel use 8 bolts..

I'd assume 4.0 sohc flywheel bolts would be the same?

@boominXplorer
I have the part number and they say for both motors..i found one on ebay but says quantity of 1 and that part number should be for 8 bolts..im sending him a message. .

Part number
F77Z6379AC

id post pictures but apparently i cant post them or they dont show up unless im a member and it just ended. .ill have to get my elite back here soon so i can post pictures of the motor assembly. .

But got my parts back from Tom..the plates are different. .they dont have his name and 4.0 water cut into them anymore and appear to be slightly thicker and narrower. .they do use a longer bolt that now goes through the plate,through a spacer and into the head..before he drilled and tapped a regular head bolt and used a bolt through the plate into the head bolt..
The pushrods are longer as well.

I also ordered all my parts that i think ill need for the rebuild and all will be here sometime this week..i also had to order a different IC core as the one i linked to earlier was not measured by core size and the one i based and have is measured by core size..

I plan to start building the motor up this weekend and see what im missing, hopefully nothing and i can have it built in a day..then Sunday i plan to start pulling the supercharger off and possibly the trans out..would love to get the motor out also but im going at it alone with minimal help soo

So hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks ill have it completely swapped out and on the dyno for a tune adjust. .i dont plan to dyno it with Nitrous right now till the aviator is built and running again..just cant risk it blowing up and having no vehicle any longer....

Good luck on the build JD!!!!!!!

Yea, were all impatiently waiting

Well got all the parts outa storage and to my garage. .unfortunately getting everything here and laid out was all i got done,but looks like i have everything i need..im pretty excited to get everything back together, some pretty nice parts

Make sure you take lots of pics to upload later. A high end ohv build like this is crazy rare.

Make sure you take lots of pics to upload later. A high end ohv build like this is crazy rare.
I am..its crazy rare because you gota be stupid to put this kind of money into a OHV...it wasn't a big deal when i was single and had money to blow but mannn i regret it now...that 6-8k just spent on the motor only couldve went 3x as far in aviator. .i couldve made 1,000 hp in luxury, with the ac on and watching a dvd,daily driving it..then had money left.....

Sure my response/mind may change after that first drive though. ..hahaha

So got alot done today..its 90% assembled. .did however run into issues with Tom's stuff..

First the lower manifold hits the pushrods which we wasn't sure if the 1.7 would hit,we knew the 1.8 would..so it needs to have some clearance taken off..no big deal..

Next,even though he took my advice and has a long bolt going through the plate,through a spacer and into the head..the spacer is still to small..the gap is smaller than a ARP washer or any washer i had which i didnt want to stuff a washer in there anyways..so i took some measurements and going to cut my own spacers outa the metal i bought to make spacers. .the id is tighter on the bolt and the od is larger than the one Tom sent..i sent him a link a couple weeks ago where i got the material from but guess he either forgot or thought his spacer would work..

Other than that it all went together like as if it was made too,better after many years of planning. .lol

So couple updates..had spacers made but the machine shop messed them up,only one was the correct length. .i should've measured them when i picked them up but didnt,so going to go back by and make sure they are cut correctly this time..I only have enough material to make 4 more so they better get them correct this time..

Without the spacers i cant tq the head down and measure the pushrods which im really hoping they are correct, could be weeks if they need to be reordered!! besides that the motor is done and buttoned up..I primed it and it made good oil pressure. .

I got drunk friday night so was hung over all day Saturday (way too old to be drinking like i did) so nothing got done Saturday. .today my buddy @Xeek came over and helped me out..We got the trans and motor taken out,took way longer than it should have but being in a driveway and damn near 100* & 100% Humidity, work went slow..

Next weekend going to try and get the new motor and trans put in..ill have the new spacers by then and will measure for pushrods first..i also need to make a need clutch line,cut a hole in floor for the t5 shifter..

Last thing i need to mill and make a spacer for the new intercooler core..it looks like it will fit but is a inch wider than old core so some milling needs to happen. .its definitely going to help with temps and water flow though. .

Back