• Register Today It's free!

MAC Cold Air INSTALLED

Holty

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT AWD V8
I just installed my MAC cold air intake yesterday. I looks really good, i'm very pleased. It didn't come with any directions what so ever, so once you figure out the pretty straight forward installation, it only takes about 20min to install. Under heavy acceleration it sounds real cool you can hear the air being sucked in the intake. I'm really hoping this mod will give me a couple of mpg increase though. I didn't see any noticeable increase in power just a little throttle responce, but I wasn't expecting much. All in all it was worth the money. I recommend it.

BTW, I have pics but I don't know how to post them on here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AWWW YOU ARE MAKING ME SOOO JEALOUS!!! I ordered one EARLY last week and its STILL not here yet. No shipping information either, but im sure its somewhere in the mail. Any tips in the 5.0 install? Im sure our engines are pretty much identical. thank man.

Installation is really easy. Just remember when you pull out the airbox there will be two holes underneath of it. That is where you will mount the bracket that connects the air filter to the MAS. Pretty easy. I can send you pics of mine if you want?

can you please post the pics? im sure it'll help others too, but if you cant, you can send them to me and ill post pics of mine when i get my kit. my email is sphui@UCSD.EDU . thanks holty.

I would like to post pics here on the website for everyone to see, but I don't know how? where does it give you the option to post a pic?

do a search. i think you just upload the pic from your computer. or you can just email them to me.

Back to that 5.0 installation....I dunno what its like on the V6, but i know on my 8 I felt some more power....to get the old airbox out, all i gota say is PULL!! It's an easy intsall, just may take a min to figure out how everything goes together for the lack of directions...Have fun, ill try to find the pics i took of mine and post em...

MAC Pics...

Check in my sig...

you guys with the MAC cold air.....I've had mine on now for a week or so and love the throttle response it has given me.....but....i am having a problem. i think it started the very next day after installing the air intake. I get this very high pitched whistleing noise coming from the motor but it only happens at a certain throttle position. it happens when the pedal is about 1/4 to 1/2 way pressed in. what the heck could it be? I don't think it's an air leak cause I double checked all the fittings and clamps and they are all tight and I know it didn't do this before I put the intake kit on? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

wow...

i get it when I shut the engine off... sounds like something is dying in there. I have no clue what it is though. I know I have a bad idle pulley but that is another noise altogether.

Also, I hated the color of those rubber bands they sent. What's with that blue color??? Does anyone know if Lowes hardware or Home Depot sells ones that are similar?

YO HOLTY, put your stock box back in. that will focus your problem at the intake. if the noise is still there, you are SOL !!!!! :D

I get the same thing, but after looking it over, and all seals look good, I can't think of ne thing that is wrong. As long as its getting air i figure the installation is all good.

I get the same noise with my FIPK.

Im pretty sure thats normal.

iS that MAC cold air kit for the v6 or v8? How much is it and who did you order it from?

either...

I beleive that most of us are talking about the v8 kit that they sell just because there aren't too many others that have one for the 98-00 explorers/mountaineers but I think that MAC does have one for the v6's now. I purchased the kit new off ebay for around $150.

How is this a cold air intake..isn't it drawing air from inside the hood? i.e hot air of the engine

yeah well...

They call it a cold air kit but I see what you are saying. Actually, though, I am sure the air is pretty cool coming into it once you remove that flap behind the headlight. I am working on installing an intake temperature guage. Once I get it in, I will be able to see if it actually draws cooler air. All in all, you know what we mean. I had a cold air intake previously but it wasn't too good with the rain. If you don't go wheelin much, I have an awesome diagram for making a cold air kit. It uses a massive K&N cylindrical filter from the yukon and some black 3" PVC. Doubles as a wet/dry vac.. hehe...

It's gettting worse....

now the whistleing is worse. instead of a whistle at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, I get different whistleing tones almost all the time. I'm really pissed. i took it all apart nothing looked wrong. wtf?

MAC...

Should be try and contact them? I am having the same problem but I thought it was a pulley. I have since then, removed all the pulleys, replaced a few and still no good. I guess it is that MAC... why is it doing that? Is it creating the noise because of the massive air flow by the MAFS? I don't know, but it is annoying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I contacted MAC this morning about this problem, they surpriseingly got back to me very quickly. They said they are looking into it, and will get back to me. I will post results as soon as I get them, and i'm also going to send a link of this post to them.

thanks.

Back