MAC Cold Air INSTALLED | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAC Cold Air INSTALLED

Hey what's up, I just installed a k&N FIPK on my 99 sport the other day. I haven't heard anything like that whistleing You guys are taking about. I really didn't notice any performace gain either, I just noticed it idles a bit smoother and it a bit louder. Well hope you guys figure it out cause i'm sure it's annoying. The only thing i can think of is maybe there is a tiny leak where the MAF sensor bolts to that plate. My k&n kit can with 2 rubber gaskets to go in there. But i made sure that i tightened the bolts criss crossed so i didn't distort the plastic MAF sensor. A small leak is the only thing i can figure cause nobody says they get it at idle so my guess is when it sucks the air in at 1/4 throttle. Good Luck Guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hissing or sucking is normal. Whistling is not. My FIPK on the FX4 hisses, and I know lots of Ranger guys running the MAC have it too. It is normal. The noise is the trade-off for performance, and thats why intakes don't come from the factory...

--Sean

Trust me...

It is defanately a whistleing noise. My intake also makes a hissing/sucking noise which i know is normal. I used to have a k&n fipk on my S-10 which also made the intake sound and no whistleing. i'm still waiting on MAC to get back to me on this.

grrrr...

Normal or not, it's annoying. It almost sounds like the belt is squeeking or there is a bad pulley but it is that damn intake. I am more than willing to sacrafice performance to get that noise to stop... and I am one for power. It's degrading to pull up next to a stang or ricer and race when your car sounds like crap. We need to figure this out. If there is anything I can do or if we need to flood their phone lines then let me know. Keep us posted...

Whistling

The whistling is caused by the intake itself. Manufacturer's dont accomidate for the whistling because any noises are usually muffled by the airbox. On my Contour SVT the problem was worse because it made a "MOOOSE" noise with an intake which sounded like a foghorn. Talk about embarassing, in the SVT's case though Ford made a fix for it. It was like a different idle control valve or something. Just my .02

im confuse

okay im about to order a air intake K&N gen II
until i heard this...
does this noise comes from MAC only or is it alos from
K&N and KKM?

please response soon before i purchase one

should be...

I have MAC but I beleive that I have heard others with K&N FIPK's talk about this problem also. I don't know about the KKM's but I can't imagine why there's would not do the same thing. It is caused by the high volume of air running past SOMETHING withing the intake setup. I am still waiting to hear what MAC has to say...

Originally posted by duke16
How is this a cold air intake..isn't it drawing air from inside the hood? i.e hot air of the engine

it isnt a CAI. it's just an air intake. i dont know why people call it that. the CAI for my mazda 626 goes down behind the bumper. if the intake was under the hood it would be a HAI.

but i wouldnt want a CAI for my explorer anyway. i drive through to much mud and water:p

i'll just add to the problem by statin that b4 the X I had a 99 stang gt and when I installed the k&n filter and took the silencer off I got the same whistling noise hmmm....must be a ford thing?

so whats the deal.... i was ready to order a MAC intake, but im not going to now that people say they whistle. should i just order a kkm? have you found a soultion to the whistle?

go MAC. i love mine. the whistle is barely noticeable. performance gains are by far more worth it than just a measily little whistle. acceleration has increased. climbing power increased. hills seem like flat straight aways. My exhaust feels more opened up and it growls more now. ESPECIALLY at start-up... i was at a gas station and when i started the car to leave, turned at least 3 heads of other guys. it was tight! :D

I havn't heard back from MAC yet. I don't expect them to give me any help....I just thought I would see what they had to say about it.

Don't get me wrong though, I love my intake....and the whistle is hardly noticeable if you have the windows down or the radio on. I wouldn't NOT get one just because of this problem. I DO believe what Lowdpypes said, it is SOMETHING, i don't know what, but something the air is hitting going through the intake. I'm not really too concerned with it. I wouldn't go back to stock over it either.

well do any of you with the annoying whistle wish you would have gottn the kkm instead? is the MAC have that much more power to make it worth the whistle?

Originally posted by COOLCHRISCUSH
well do any of you with the annoying whistle wish you would have gottn the kkm instead? is the MAC have that much more power to make it worth the whistle?

HECK NO!!! that chrome intake pipe looks sooo SuWEET under my hood. Also the little breather filter sitting next to his big brother is unique! That rumble in my pants aint last nites chilli, thats the MAC/FlowMaster 1-2 combo!

HuiDaddy- thanks for the reassurance

does everyone else still think the MAC would be better than the kkm?

through all my ranting and raving about it...

yes.

I just purchased the MAC today after reading this thread. I had a K&N Filtercharger kit for my old X which was a SOHC and I tried to make a cold air box for it to work on my v8 but I was having problems with the design. Anyway I am excited to get the MAC one I hope it will help with gas milage and HP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cool... tell us how everything goes after you get it installed! :)

Back