Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Mad Max - Galaxie Tow Rig

Discussion in 'Ford Lincoln Mercury' started by Suicide77, June 11, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Suicide77

Suicide77 Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Explorer
    And today's task is drawing up some sketches to mount this thing on here....

006.JPG

EDIT: Here is what I came up with:

Heim Box.jpg

My game plan is to 3-D print this for mocking up sake, make any needed adjustments or tweaks so everything clears, then machine the plates, bolt them together, and finally weld all the seams. I'll keep yall posted!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Suicide77

City, State:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    1993 Explorer
    Well.... got the bracket printed. There are a few dimensional things I need to correct, and I need to drill out the 3/4" bolt hole a bit more, but I think the general concept is going to work. I think I'm going to spend some time trying to trim a little wasted space off the bracket footprint. Next I need to get the arms ordered and figure out what I'm going to do for a cross-member so I can start mocking this stuff up!

004.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  4. Suicide77

City, State:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    1993 Explorer
    So due to funds (and paying for another semester of school) I have had to curb my ambitions to fit my current budget (both money-wise and time-wise). One of the ambitions I've had on the back burner was building some off-road headlights. I've always wanted to put the big KC Daylighter's on the roof and I figured this was a smaller project I could tackle this February. Well, upon my initial investigation, it became apparent that KC Daylighter's are dang expensive, especially with any mounting hardware. So I hit the junkyard and found a perfect alternative :)

20190204_103849.jpg

This is a 1963 Chrystler NewYorker. And, as luck would have it, all 4 headlight buckets were in it! Even better, they are each a stand alone assembly that just screws right into sheet metal from the inner fender. I got them off, and was only set back $10 by the junkyard! Next, I needed some material to anchor this stuff, and decided to go with #4 rebar (which was a $12 setback). From there I started messing around with some different lengths and decided to start tacking stuff together.

20190210_133356.jpg

I used magnets and some foam to kinda 'levitate' my rebar pieces into place. I cut a slot in the piece of foam so that it wouldn't go anywhere. After I kinda got things set where I liked them, I marked the rebar with where it came in contact with the magnets and then just traced the magnets on the roof so I could take things off and put them back on while maintaining some 3 dimensional position.

20190210_144029.jpg

I popped it off, welded the ends up, realized I was a bit rusty at welding, and grinded off the excess. After which I mocked-up what I was going for:

20190210_194151.jpg

So today after work I was able to snag a rebar bender from Uncle Bill (who has all sorts of cool equipment!) and got to work bending a top piece to fit onto my little rebar square... It is on the hood of the Junker in this next picture:

20190211_192114.jpg

After cutting it up to where I felt good my sister was able to come out and give me a hand holding it in place while I tacked it in. Surprisingly we got it pretty dang straight and I was able to finish welding the upper 'hoop' onto the square. Here is how it looks tonight:

20190211_202409.jpg

And again, the lights and little connecting bars are just held in with magnets to kinda demon-straight what I am going for.

20190211_202422.jpg

Now to get some sleep, go to school tomorrow, and hopefully get back to this before the week is out!

5. MrQ

MrQ Fuel Pump Replacer Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Stafford, TX
    '93 Limited
    Callsign:
    MrQ
    Awesome thread man! :thumbsup:

Going to be keeping an eye on this one.:popcorn:

6. Suicide77

City, State:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    1993 Explorer
    Thanks MrQ!! Hopefully this thing will live up to all the hype :laugh:....

Anyhow, I was able to get the middle bars cut to length and tack welded in. I need to finish the welds and then bend the rear hoop for the top of the light buckets to mount to. And then figure out a way to bolt all this stuff onto the roof. Probably do something with rubber gaskets so it is water tight?

20190213_205723.jpg

20190213_222501.jpg

20190213_223138.jpg

This last picture kinda shows the backside of the headlight buckets and the holes I am attempting to line up. If it all works out I'll just drill and tap them right into the rebar.

20190213_223200.jpg

7. Suicide77

City, State:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    1993 Explorer
    Well I had a reasonably productive afternoon today! I started by getting the rear hoop bent and cut to size, then hoisted it into position and measured, measured, and re-measured where I had it placed before I started tack welding:

20190215_131355.jpg

Upon getting it tacked, I re-measured and felt very satisfied with where it ended up:

20190215_142034.jpg

After which I welded up all the tacks I had left from the evening before and added 2 braces at the top between the two hoops. If there is anything that can be learned from this next picture, it is that I am the proud owner of a denim welding table...

20190215_141635.jpg

My next step is going to be figuring out how to anchor/bolt this whole assembly on. I also want to add some additional supports/gussets sloping back farther along the roof line, however, I don't know if I want to leave it open or cover the top & sides with expanded steel?

20190215_142454.jpg

I'm leaning towards painting the whole thing flat black when I'm done.

8. Suicide77

City, State:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    1993 Explorer
    So... We had some warm weather today (32-35) and sunshine so I finally made the push to get this thing resting under its own weight. I ended up welding tabs onto the whole thing in 4 places that I will drill and bolt to the roof. The tabs are 3/16" thick and I still need to drill for the 1/2" - 13 bolts, which will keep this locked solid onto the roof.

20190218_145012.jpg

As you can see, the tabs are relatively low key, but I will probably paint them some form of rusted off-white to blend a bit more with the roof. Luckily, matching the paint isn't a priority.

20190218_145024.jpg

20190218_150545.jpg

I couldn't help it, I had to pop the headlights in and get a teaser of what is to come. I'm very happy with the results :) Still need to track down 3 more headlight buckets though... going to look at some out of a 1963 Buick Electra a guy in the area is parting out. Hopefully they are similar to the Chrysler buckets.

Oh! And I haven't decided where to weld expanded steel onto this thing, or what I am going to weld onto the backside of the light buckets to conceal/contain the wires.

9. Suicide77

City, State:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    1993 Explorer
    I still need to finish up the lightbar thread - though, it will always be a work in progress like the rest of the car. I did just get back from a totally crazy epic weekend down south in the Junker. No words to describe the trip, so much fun!!!

Canyonlands 10 Lightened.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    Awesome shot:chug:

11. 92exp4x4

92exp4x4 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Covington, Kentucky
    92 XL 2-door and others
    Agreed!

12. Suicide77

City, State:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    1993 Explorer
    Thanks guys!!! Glad I can share it with yall! I need to resize the other shots so I can share them here, I will update this post when I resize them :)

13. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    You should post up your Mad Max style shots too :D

• Like Like x 1