• Register Today It's free!

Make my V6 sound like a V8.

slag2003

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer XLS
I have a 2002 explorer v6 and I wanna know what I should do to make it sound like a v8 or at least make it sound deep and throaty without it sounding obvious(meaning when I drive it ppl r like wtf that sounds weird). Money is not a problem and any options and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it were me I would get a high flow catalytic converter and Flowmaster muffler. Together you should wind up with a nice deep sound, but not too loud.

You need a V8 then. Only a V8 sounds like a V8.

i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and i got the 4.0 sohc engine motor

Awesome advice guys I'm learning a lot! I like what u said rick but I want it loud just not insanely loud. But that might be what u were saying. And it doesn't have to sound just like a v8 I know that but just a lower deeper sound than a v6

There is an exhaust sound clip thread on here somewhere, Sam probably has it favorit'ed but I will see if I can find it.

EDIT: here it is, its 2nd gen but there's some 4.0 SOHC's in that thread.

with my single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters it sounds deeper in my opinon. but if u want a quieter exhaust go for the 70 series flowmaster

a flowmaster sounds really good on a V6 its what im about to have put on mine im going with the 40 series it has a real nice low tone till it reaches upper rpm's then it gets a higher tone but still nice

JBA headers and Magnaflow

This advice is helping so much I appreciate everything. I'm thinking the magnaflow exhaust but I also like the idea of the 40 series flowmasters. Maybe even takin the exhaust off. But that might sound dumb. Do u have any vids of what it sounnds like with all those options? Let me know. U guys r smarter than me at this

this is mine with a flowmaster 40 and no resonator

a v6 will never sound like a v8 just not enough cylinders! Every v6 i have heard gets a ricey sound eventually, mine gets buzzing at about 3,000 rpm

An intake and Magnaflow exhaust should help a lot. Nothing will make it a V8, but it will probably sounds good to you.

My old SOHC equipped '00 Sport sounded like ass with a Magnaflow and intake. I left the setup in place for less than a month. My wife called my truck a "riceburner" and the drone was so bad on the highway that it gave me a headache.

I replaced the Magnaflow with a Flowmaster 50 Series. Sound was much better, but still didn't sound like a V8. I solved that problem when I traded the Sport in on a '99 Eddie Bauer with a 5.0. As someone else said; there aren't enough cylinders in a V6 to sound like a V8.

I concur.

im runnin a flowmaster 40 and it sounds good, except around 3000, but on the floor it always sounds great
also id just delete the resonator run a flowmaster 40 with 2.5'' exhaust, a custom set up like that will cost alot less.

:bsnicker:
Sam probably has it favorit'ed but I will see if I can find it.

I havent heard any V6's that sound good really until today. My buddy has a 2002 or 2003 (Cant remember off the top of my head) Ranger, and he threw a Flowmaster 40 series on it, it sounds damn good. Nice and throaty, but not overkill and ricey.

Ok cool so I should go with the flowmaster 40 series. Is the lower the series number the
lower the sound?

Ok cool so I should go with the flowmaster 40 series. Is the lower the series number the
lower the sound?

I think you got it backwards. A 70 Series is the quietest of the Flowmaster mufflers. A 40 Series is louder than a 50 and a 50 is louder than a 70.

My old SOHC equipped '00 Sport sounded like ass with a Magnaflow and intake. I left the setup in place for less than a month. My wife called my truck a "riceburner" and the drone was so bad on the highway that it gave me a headache.

I replaced the Magnaflow with a Flowmaster 50 Series. Sound was much better, but still didn't sound like a V8. I solved that problem when I traded the Sport in on a '99 Eddie Bauer with a 5.0. As someone else said; there aren't enough cylinders in a V6 to sound like a V8.

I concur.

That is probably because everyone in here is talking about just swapping mufflers, instead of doing a catback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 40 series is the loudest street muffler. The Flowmaster 10 series offroad/race muffler is WAY louder. I run to of these on my Big Block F150, 3" in on both sides with dual 4" turn dows on both mufflers and there about 3 times louder then the 40s. There just a single chamber so the flow and noise is greater... Im not suggesting these on a 4.0 because i still dont think it would sound good, or like a V8 but its an idea. Ive never herd a good sounding 6 popper except my old 300/6 F150 with a 5" straight pipe out the side lol.

Back