making strange sounds 4x4 wont engage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

making strange sounds 4x4 wont engage

feksrocks

Reaction score
City, State
utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer xlt
i recently took a trip to some local trails to try out the 4x4 i just bought this explorer and i pushed the 4x4 switch and it would turn on and everything but it would make a popping sound so i turned it off i was driving back on a paved road and it did this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blMiVdpwteY and after i tried pushing the 4x4 button and the 4x4 light on the dash didnt turn on or nothing if any one has idea what it could b your help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the 4 X 4 isn't engaging properly. You should check/clean the auto hubs, and check the shift motor. You may need to have someone "tap" on the shift motor while you push the button, and see if that makes a difference. Good luck!

Your auto hubs are definitely not engaging/disengaging properly. You could possibly fix them, but I would just either buy replacements or use this as an excuse to upgrade to manual hubs.

I'd agree with the others in saying your front HUBs are toast.

Yeah that sounds like splines rubbing from your hubs. Front driveshaft would clunk. I like my mile marker manual hubs

Hubs. The auto hubs don't last forever, and yours are 22 years old.
Also, don't do 4wd on paved roads.

Exactly what RangerX said :thumbsup:

Back