1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Manual M5R1OD install

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by Brian T Nickless, July 21, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Brian T Nickless

Brian T Nickless Member

City, State:
    Courtenay, B.C.
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    99 Sport
    Hope this helps someone else out. My '99 Ex Sport is getting an M5R1 in the next few days. I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to remove the auto. brake pedal ( without removing the pedal cage from the Ex ) Could not be done on my EX. Got the pedal box out and the main rod ( inner) is PRESS-FITTED together. Nothing was going to take that sucker apart while installed. Fortunately, my landlord ( a 2nd cousin ) is a crack ( meaning awesome !) machinist. Totally disassembled, beefed-up, extra bushings, and now I have a totally useless clutch ( auto tranny still in. )
    I'm hoping the pedals are the hardest part of this job ( as I have been told ) and the rest will go well. Not posting pics, as there are already lots out there. Brian

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Brian T Nickless

Brian T Nickless Member

City, State:
    Courtenay, B.C.
    99 Sport
    Yipeeee !!

I now have the only 99 Ex Sport Automatic with a clutch !!!! Pedals in, trans in soon. The guy with the hoist who said he would help me install it is not returning my calls. He could at least tell me he doesn't want to help rather than bailing and not answering his phone ! Some people !! BN

4. Stang65fst

Stang65fst New Member

2001 explorer
    If you could keep it all in one thread that would be great. Right now it appears there is info all over the board. This is something I would be interested in doing down the road. I have also read something about F150 manual transmission behind a V6 too. What did you snag the pedals out of?

5. Brian T Nickless

Brian T Nickless Member

City, State:
    Courtenay, B.C.
    99 Sport
    pedals

Pedals are out of another explorer, but were the wrong application. Different year, different engine, I don't know. So, I ended up removing the pedals from the wrong pedal cage and installing them in the one out of my Ex. Also modified the cage for the pedals to be better supported and ride on more metal. BN

We Support Our Troops!