Manual transmission performance options. How could I make it stronger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual transmission performance options. How could I make it stronger?

etjensen

Reaction score
City, State
Birdsboro, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Good Morning. I have 1991 XLT 4x4 (4.0 L OHV) with the Mazda manual transmission. The transmission has 194k miles (re-built at (98k) and it is about to fail. I use this Explorer for a wide variety of uses from typical family stuff to pulling a dual axil car trailer. At 5000 pounds, the trail puts a lot of stress on the transmission. I am wondering if there are other easy to installl stronger manual transmission options besides the Mazda tranny. If not, then what advise to consider for the next transmission longevity. If I re-build it then are there bearing options. Synthetic oil recommendations? Will 90 wgt. gear oil be a better choice. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

regear to 4.10 or 3.73 if you aren't already.it will give you more pulling power and less strain on the engine and tranny.other than synthetics thats about it.

welcome

Good Morning. I have 1991 XLT 4x4 (4.0 L OHV) with the Mazda manual transmission. The transmission has 194k miles (re-built at (98k) and it is about to fail. I use this Explorer for a wide variety of uses from typical family stuff to pulling a dual axil car trailer. At 5000 pounds, the trail puts a lot of stress on the transmission. I am wondering if there are other easy to installl stronger manual transmission options besides the Mazda tranny. If not, then what advise to consider for the next transmission longevity. If I re-build it then are there bearing options. Synthetic oil recommendations? Will 90 wgt. gear oil be a better choice. Thanks.

If it's failed once and it's about to fail again I'm going to guess you tow in 5th gear? Don't tow any significant amount of weight in 5th gear with these transmissions, they're not strong enough. They unfortunately didn't set up the Explorers with manual transmissions for towing. You could go lower gearing, no higher than 4.10. The M5OD-HD transmissions are a little stronger. As far as putting another type of transmission in without too much hassel, I don't think there's very many options.

Thanks for comment on towing in Fifth gear. I should have thought that through. You referenced the M5OD-HD transmission; is that the Mazda M5R2 or a heavy duty R1? I was told by Ford that the R2 will not bolt to the 4.0 engine directly. Is this correct? Or do I have build an adaptor (too much hassle). Ford used in its pickups (F-250s) a version of the ZF-5 transmission on its V8s; can that transmission bolted directly to the 4.0 engine without serious machining?

It's the HD R1. It's just like yours except they beefed up the interiors some to be used behind the more powerful SOHC 4.0 engines. The R2s won't bolt right up. I don't believe there are any other manual transmissions that will bolt right up. Not any that are stronger anyway besides the R1-HD. I don't know if the R2 or others can be bolted up with just an adaptor. I'm under the impression there's not really other options without major modification. It would be really awesome if you could somehow get a T-56 installed. :D That's what I would like to have.

Back