Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Max AC not working

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by jjotero, June 20, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. jjotero

jjotero New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Hello ya'll - I have a 97 Ford Explorer which I did the blend door fix on over the weekend and voila, I have temp control and AC versus heat fixed. On my drive back to the house from my pops (he has all the tools) :), I turned the knob to Max AC and it stayed the same as Norm AC for a few seconds and then all of a sudden started blowing through the defrost vents.

From my research here, I'm thinking it's a vacuum issue but am wondering where I should start and just need a nudge / kick in the right direction.

This is a fantastic site. I'm planning on replacing a serpentine belt to see if it gets rid of some chatter.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Steeda90GT

Steeda90GT Active Member

City, State:
    Central NJ
    99 Sport
    I had this same issue too. It was a vaccum problem under the dash on the passenger side. Look for any loose connections/hoses..

4. ucluglee

ucluglee Member

City, State:
    Greenville, SC
    '00 XLT
    I highly recommend removing the front passenger seat for this. You can just lay in the floor and prop your legs up on the back seat. MUCH easier on your back, too. ;)

5. jjotero

jjotero New Member

I am now a novice at taking out my passenger seat. After fixing the vacuum issue, I will be an expert. :p:

Gonna slide in there tonight and will report back ya'll.

6. jjotero

jjotero New Member

I went under the passenger side dash and checked all the connections and they all seem to be connected properly. When I move the temp control from Norm AC to Max AC, I don't see the Recirc door move at all.

Any other pointers? Could it be the vacuum thing that is suppose to pull the recirc door?

7. jjotero

jjotero New Member

Anybody got any suggestions?