Max tire/wheel size for 2002 EXP XLS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Max tire/wheel size for 2002 EXP XLS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's a 4x4 model I beleive you can fit 265/75/16's with minimal rubbing.

I use 265/75/16 BFG KO's on aftermarket rims on my 02 XLT 4X4.
It worked well on my stock rims as well.
No rub on full turn. Looks great. Front rubs a little over large dips. Not any serious problems. The speedo changed a bit and the X accelerates slower and it takes longer to stop.

tno

I just got an 02 XLT. I was wondering about getting bigger tires, and I saw this thread. I plan to keep the stock alloy rims. I understand I can get the 265/75/16's without much rub during normal driving. I have a couple questions:
1. Can the ford computer be flashed to account for the different tire size for the speedometer?
2. How high do these tires raise the truck overall? I want to make sure it will still fit in my garage.
3. How bad is the acceleration and stopping distance affected? I don't want to turn the truck into a poor stopping, painfully slow accellerating vehicle.
4. Would going a little smaller (say 255 or so) help the acceleration/braking problem?
I am new to trucks, and appreciate the help.
Pat

Re: tno

Originally posted by patnshan
3. How bad is the acceleration and stopping distance affected? I don't want to turn the truck into a poor stopping, painfully slow accellerating vehicle.

:nono: Should've gotten the 4.6;) My dad is thinking about putting 265/75s on, I won't tell him about the rubbing:D

About the speedo problem I've been lazy to correct it. I just drive 5-10 mph slower on the freeway. I know that there is a handheld programer that corrects axle ratio changes, fuel/air/exhaust changes so on for most other modern vehicles, but I don't know about the 02-03 explorers. I'm sure that there is one, I just have not seen it around yet.
I have a 4.0 V6 and the 3.73 gears and yes it did make a noticible difference in acceleration and stopping. It was especially noticible right after the tire change. On inclines, it does affect it pretty good. I didn't buy the ex to race
anyway ;) The tire, 265/75/16 is said to be about 31.8 inches diameter. It is a 32 inch tire. Fairly large for a stocker with no lift. In the past month it has rubbed the top of the wheelwell maybe twice during daily driving. I know that a shorter tire would not affect the acceleration/stopping as much. The truck is now about 1.5 inches taller after the tires. It looks great now with the larger tires.
I enjoy "accidentally" running over curbs all the time, they now feel like small bumps.

Thanks

Yeah, I am thinking about going a wee bit smaller on the tires. Maybe 255/70 or 245/75? I don't want any rub, as my wife would say I ruined a perfectly good truck!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear it!!!!!!!!!!
I was told to look for one of those programmers online. I guess there are many online. Hopefully not too expensive. I will let you know what I find. Thanks again. I am interested in a little more height, as the thing sits like a minivan now!
Pat

Back