Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Max tire/wheel size for 2002 EXP XLS?

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by Ken Nevers, September 27, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Ken Nevers

Ken Nevers New Member

City, State:
      Chicago, IL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '02 XLS
      I am looking for the max tire/wheel size for a 2002 EXP XLS without adding a lift. Are there any problems/risks going to a larger size?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      If it's a 4x4 model I beleive you can fit 265/75/16's with minimal rubbing.

4. tno

tno New Member

City, State:
      S. California
      2002 4x4 XLT
      I use 265/75/16 BFG KO's on aftermarket rims on my 02 XLT 4X4.
      It worked well on my stock rims as well.
      No rub on full turn. Looks great. Front rubs a little over large dips. Not any serious problems. The speedo changed a bit and the X accelerates slower and it takes longer to stop.

5. patnshan

patnshan New Member

City, State:
      WI
      '02 Explorer XLT
      tno

I just got an 02 XLT. I was wondering about getting bigger tires, and I saw this thread. I plan to keep the stock alloy rims. I understand I can get the 265/75/16's without much rub during normal driving. I have a couple questions:
      1. Can the ford computer be flashed to account for the different tire size for the speedometer?
      2. How high do these tires raise the truck overall? I want to make sure it will still fit in my garage.
      3. How bad is the acceleration and stopping distance affected? I don't want to turn the truck into a poor stopping, painfully slow accellerating vehicle.
      4. Would going a little smaller (say 255 or so) help the acceleration/braking problem?
      I am new to trucks, and appreciate the help.
      Pat

6. IAmTodd

IAmTodd 4x Explorer Veteran

City, State:
      Johnstown, PA
      2001 Jeep Cherokee
      Re: tno

:nono: Should've gotten the 4.6;) My dad is thinking about putting 265/75s on, I won't tell him about the rubbing:D

7. tno

tno New Member

City, State:
      S. California
      2002 4x4 XLT
      About the speedo problem I've been lazy to correct it. I just drive 5-10 mph slower on the freeway. I know that there is a handheld programer that corrects axle ratio changes, fuel/air/exhaust changes so on for most other modern vehicles, but I don't know about the 02-03 explorers. I'm sure that there is one, I just have not seen it around yet.
      I have a 4.0 V6 and the 3.73 gears and yes it did make a noticible difference in acceleration and stopping. It was especially noticible right after the tire change. On inclines, it does affect it pretty good. I didn't buy the ex to race
      anyway ;) The tire, 265/75/16 is said to be about 31.8 inches diameter. It is a 32 inch tire. Fairly large for a stocker with no lift. In the past month it has rubbed the top of the wheelwell maybe twice during daily driving. I know that a shorter tire would not affect the acceleration/stopping as much. The truck is now about 1.5 inches taller after the tires. It looks great now with the larger tires.
      I enjoy "accidentally" running over curbs all the time, they now feel like small bumps.

8. patnshan

patnshan New Member

City, State:
      WI
      '02 Explorer XLT
      Thanks

Yeah, I am thinking about going a wee bit smaller on the tires. Maybe 255/70 or 245/75? I don't want any rub, as my wife would say I ruined a perfectly good truck!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear it!!!!!!!!!!
      I was told to look for one of those programmers online. I guess there are many online. Hopefully not too expensive. I will let you know what I find. Thanks again. I am interested in a little more height, as the thing sits like a minivan now!
      Pat