Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

May get a motorcycle, Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by '97 V8, April 17, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. '97 V8

'97 V8 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    ft. knox ky
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
    Its been in the back of my mind for awhile, but yesterday i think ive decided. What caused this was spending $80 CAD to fill the mounty up with gas yesterday. I need a more practical daily driver, and 13-14 mpg isnt going to cut it. Anyways i think i'll have to put the SAS on hold and buy a motorcycle. DOes anyone here know any motorcycles, preferablly the japaneese street bikes, that are good, and problem free.mI need something relaible and fast too. My budget is $3000. Nothng under 600cc. I would buy it by the end of the summer but if i run into anything i like i'd probably buy it.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. inh

inh Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Springfield(ish), MO
    '00 XLS
    Suzuki GSXR's are nice. My dad has an... 02 or 03 1000cc one. They come in 600, 750, and 1000. COuld probably find one used for cheap.

Or you could get a CRX :p 30mpg

4. Lt.Jim

Lt.Jim Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South Central Pennsylvania/NorthernMaryland
    94 XLT
    I had an 86 yamaha radian 650cc that ran like a champ. It was fast and other then oil changes I never did any work to it. Well accept when I plowed through two deer with it. $150 in repairs and I was back on the road. 50-60mpg. I went through alot of back tires from doing burnouts ;)

5. MountaineerGreen

MountaineerGreen Towing Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    North East Arkansas
    2012 F150 4x4
    Ive got a very nice Honda Nighthawk 750 for $3000

Even if you dont buy mine, they are great bikes. They are an inline four, DOHC, quad carbuerator engine. Mine seems to be pretty quick and gets about 50 MPG.

If you are interested in my Nighthawk, let me know. I may be able to find a way to get it to you relatively inexpensively.

6. '97 V8

'97 V8 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    ft. knox ky
    can you send me some details, like pics. i know jack about bikes, i can ride one but dont know anything about em. like i said if i agree to buy it, it would be the end of summer.

7. MountaineerGreen

City, State:
    North East Arkansas
    2012 F150 4x4
    My digital camera is on the way back from the repair people, but when I get it, I can send some pics. I have a guy comming to look tomrrow, and the first man with money gets the bike. If I still have it when your ready, I dont think shipping would be too terrible.

8. '97 V8

'97 V8 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    ft. knox ky
    ya. thanks. you'd prolly have it sold before im ready, but if it aint then im in luck ;)

9. Joey P

Joey P Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    2004 Strac
    You should get something like this! :thumbsup: ;)

Attached Files:

10. SplashMan

SplashMan Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    '93 Ranger
  11. GJarrett

GJarrett Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
    '99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
    [QUOTE='97 V8] I need something relaible and fast too... Nothng under 600cc.[/QUOTE]

Please don't take this wrong, but coming from a person who has logged well over 200,000 street miles on bikes and also worked several years selling Kawasakis and watching what happens when customers buy more bike than they are ready for, I'd strongly suggest looking at a bike that is NOT a gofast bigbore.

12. '97 V8

'97 V8 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    ft. knox ky
    ya i know what you mean. i just dont know which bike is good or not you know. i know how they work, but when it comes to brands, as in who sells a better bike and what yeaer to look for...im clueless.

However, what bike would you suggest?

13. GJarrett

GJarrett Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
    '99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
    I wouldn't suggest a certain bike. Any modern Jap bike is going to be way more reliable than you'll need it to be for the limited miles and time you'll put on it. I put over 80,000 miles on a Kawasaki 1000 - an original 1977 model - and never had a single problem with it. That was back when you could count on having to work on your Harley every single weekend. The Nighthawk 750 mentioned above is a nice bike. Honda bikes are just as reliable as Honda cars, if that gives you some idea.

The post I made above was as a result of reading into your posts that you might not be an accomplished "expert" with years and lotsa miles of experience, that's why I suggested to shy away from big gofast bikes. You can tell them by how they look - the Ninjas, the GSXRs, etc crotchrockets. I can't tell you the number of eager wannabe street warriors that bought new Ninjas from our dealership and then promptly crashed them - in many cases during the first week and several of them the first day. The standard bikes like the Nighthawk and Radian or any cruiser are much more comfortable, usually much cheaper insurance, get great mileage, and are still warpspeed lightyears quicker than any auto you'll drive.

14. MountaineerGreen

City, State:
    North East Arkansas
    2012 F150 4x4
    Yes, the so called "naked" bikes will be your best bet. Mine was very reliable and easy to ride. It was light and well balanced. I agree that you should stay away from any racing type bikes, the standard bikes go plenty fast enough for a novice. My nighthawk could get 90+ in a hurry without really pushing it. ;)

15. BBQ_HotDogs

BBQ_HotDogs A Man Without Wheels

City, State:
    Houston, Texas
    98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
    Get a good hospitilization (sp?) plan. You will need it sooner or later. The more you ride, the braver you will get. Gravel is a bikers worst nightmare, that and dead rabbits...