• Register Today It's free!

Maybe on the last leg

sakirfp

Reaction score
City, State
Forsyth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4.6
The wife's 2005 XLT V8 230,000 miles might be on its last leg. Last night while I was replacing the rear axle bearing in my 04 Sport Track(260,000 Miles) . She came rolling in with a horrible clanking noise coming from the engine. It sounded like a valve or something horrible coming from the left rear of the engine.. Well this morning taking it to the repair shop, because I did not want any part of it fixing, it shut off and would not start back up but does turn over and tries to run..So we had it towed the last 2 of 6 miles trip to the repair shop.

They are going to look at on Monday and let me know the damage. I am just wondering if the valves are shot or the time belt is all jacked up

Will it be worth fixing? I am sure the transmission is not far behind since both are still original.

Should I keep the Explorer..It is great shape just the drive train is hurting. Oh and my wife wants to get ride of it for something samll

This has not been a good week for either of our Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

. She came rolling in with a horrible clanking noise coming from the engine. It sounded like a valve or something horrible coming from the left rear of the engine..

or the time belt is all jacked up

From what you are describing and from what I read in here the last 2 years or so, it sounds like your "plastic timing chain guides" may have broke and pieces of it are getting bound up in the motor. It is a timing "chain" you have, not a belt. Take a look at the link below:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204267&highlight=timing+chain+whoops

That sounds promising... I just hope it does not cost an arm and a leg to fix.

That sounds promising... I just hope it does not cost an arm and a leg to fix.

From what I know about it, it's not a cheap repair. Think the motor has to be removed for the repair or you may need another motor if it is damaged beyond repair.

At least a leg. Maybe leg and half an arm.

It is a pricey repair. Might want to look into other options such as a junkyard motor.

We were thinking a new motor might be the worst case..just have to decide if we want to do that. I am sure the transmission is not far behind..the Explorer does have 230,000 miles on it.

The repair shop called...The motor is toast and needs replaced.

Let see how much it is going to cost for a replacement motor.

The repair shop called...The motor is toast and needs replaced.

Let see how much it is going to cost for a replacement motor.

Try to find a used motor yourself online, it should be cheaper than buying one thru a repair shop.

If you're looking for a used engine, I bought one here. Make sure you know what you need and are getting before you make the deal. http://car-part.com/ Also remember part prices are ALWAYS negotiable despite what the yard people want you to think.

Well my wife does not want her 2005 Explorer fixed, well at least for $4500..The repair shop will replace the engine with the one I found for $1350. She has been wanting a new vehicle for a while...So she got one today..

I am thinking of keeping the Explorer and replacing the engine myself over a nice period of time...:)

Back