• Register Today It's free!

Melted Liscence Plate socket

Vinsanity92

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island,New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT NBX
Hey there guys im an extreme lurker here haha. Anyways long story short I went to change my liscence plate bulbs today because they burnt out. I opened one to find the little rubber piece melted. This puzzled me so I checked the other side with the same result. So here I am giving a heads up to others give em a check. Followed by a question is there something that causes this? I checked for shorts and found none so is the lightbulb doing this?

Dude... me too! When i changed the bulbs I noticed it... a few years ago. I dolled up a friends mounty to go to auction and i pulled a scumbag move... (it was a turd: needed tranny, brakes, trashed interior even after I dolled it up and rust holes everywhere) I clipped the license plate pig tails because they werent as melted as my explorer is... havent swaped em out yet but havent seen anyone else recognise the problem- was shocked when I saw your post!

I found the same thing on my '04 Explorer. I swapped out the bulbs and put in LEDs and it works much better now. I think the Incandescent type bulbs produce more heat and melt the plastic bulb holder.

Ok good I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy and yeah I have the new housings I'm just waiting to change em out till I get the LEDs in the mail. Along with my electronic flasher relay so I can have led turns and tails.

Back