Mercury Marauder Gets Green Light for Production | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mercury Marauder Gets Green Light for Production

Originally posted by Bartman
Ford made the same mistake with the Taurus SHO. It took them 4-5 yrs before they finally listened to the public and gave that car a stick.

You've got it backwards. The SHO originally came with a 5 speed but slow sales forced Ford to offer an automatic and eventually discontinue the manual when the auto outsold it by a large margin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I stand corrected. But...I'd still want a stick.

Update:

Motor Trend says the Marauder is stopping production. They will end it after selling off some '04's

yup thats the word.....pity its a real nice car in my opinion

Originally posted by Stephen
Making it limited run though will make a collector's item out of it.

True, and maybe it's just me, but I don't see this car as becoming much of a collectors item.. Besides quantity made, it's not like it's something people are having a hard time getting their hands on... Guess only time will tell

I personnal love the Marauders, such a bas azz car. When my sister killed my Explorer in January and I had to rip my system out of it at the dealership, we know a bunch of people at our dealership, and the manager for the shop had his demo Marauder there.

Except this wasn't a stock Marauder;) . Our dealership added a full flowmaster exhaust, chip, intake, and 4.10 gears, WOW! It was about as fast as a stock 99-01 n/a Cobra and pretty much sounded like one. He showed me the slip of when it ran in the mid to high 13's.

Such a sweet engine, and contrary to what people believe it's not a left over Cobra engine. There are a lot of differences between this engine (same as the Aviator and Mach 1) and the Cobra engine. My mom went for a ride with us and the first thing he did after backing out was go through the dealerships parking lot sideways b/c of the torque.

Mach 1's and Marauders sound basically the same (you'd be suprised at how aggressive the Aviator sounds also, just a little quieter then the other two), very deep and aggressive (more muscle car like) then the exotic note of the dohc Cobra engine.

And it rode awsome, extremely smooth yet firm and handled like it was on rails and quality was top notch.

EDIT - Also, I have a video of a Kenne Bell Marauder with their twin-screw charger on it. Talk about a freaking tire shredder, and yeh, it was f'n fast,, very fast...........

I don't know if anyone has read Motor Trend recently, but these are going under for next year. No more Marauder.... :confused:

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
EDIT- Also, I have a video of a Kenne Bell Marauder with their twin-screw charger on it. Talk about a freaking tire shredder, and yeh, it was f'n fast,, very fast...........

How big is that video?

Originally posted by Mikes95XLT
I don't know if anyone has read Motor Trend recently, but these are going under for next year. No more Marauder.... :confused:

Thusly why a few posts back, I said the same thing ;)

I must be blind... I totally do not remember reading that post! WTF?!? Must be all this 'studying' I'm doing... :D

Originally posted by RFR2212
True, and maybe it's just me, but I don't see this car as becoming much of a collectors item.. Besides quantity made, it's not like it's something people are having a hard time getting their hands on... Guess only time will tell

Eh, wait 15 years or so when the majority of them have been abused.

There's a kid down here at school who's got one. Why would you bring it to a college campus parking lot?? I just got keyed for cryin out loud! That thing would be a magnet IMO.

If it had the S/C motor like they talked about they wouldnt be able to make enough of em..it needs to come back in 2 years with the current Lightning motor once the L has its 500horse DOHC 5.4...hell, take the current cobra motor with the blower. I'd buy one.

One of the most desirable of the early Mercury Marauders was the 1964 model equipped with the 427-cubic inch Super Marauder V-8. This engine, which pumped out a whopping 425-horsepower (gross), boasted all of the requisite 1960s-era technology for performance engines, including twin four-barrel carburetors, high-compression 11.5:1 pistons and cross-bolted main bearing caps.

Oh really!!! My mom has one sitting under a tarp in her carport. Not driven in over 15 yrs. Car had over 300,000 miles on it without even a valve job. Cost to drive it gas wise was why my mom stopped driving it. Maybe I should ask her to give it to me, so I can restore it.

Just for Saleen---

A link to a thread, with the videos!

Dead Link Removed

You definately should, that would be a great restoration project!

Nahh, the more I thought about it, I realized I only like to do stuff to my Explorer. I have zero interest in restoring a Marauder, not that it needs much work. It still looks halfway decent. Now if it was a Cuda I would definietly restore it. I personally don't like the Marauder at all.

You should at least sell it to someone so they can restore it and you or your mother can make a little money off of it. Always a shame to see a classic under a tarp like that.

You should at least sell it to someone so they can restore it and you or your mother can make a little money off of it. Always a shame to see a classic under a tarp like that.

Yes I know but my mom is one of those people that never throws anything away. She is very possesive of her stuff. She has a Subaru that she spent 800 repairing just so it could sit. She wanted to sell it for what it was worth 1,000 plus the 800 she put into the brakes and broken windshield. I just shook my head and said that's not how it works. She never even put a sign on it, just pulled out the car cover and covered it.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :frustrate :frustrate :bounce: :frustrate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The new car and driver (boo) has a kenny brown marauder, with good power, dont remember specs, its at home.....

Back