Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Message center addition

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by J8McMahon, November 23, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. J8McMahon

J8McMahon New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 Ford Explorer XLT V8
    I know, I'm posting a lot today. My 98 explorer did not come with a message center in it. I wish to purchase one from somewhere and install it into my explorer so I can have system checks, and economy, and stuff like that. Is it possible? Thank you in advance!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    In addition to the msg center, you will also need the wiring, a different oil pan, various sensors and a 24 gal fuel tank to have everything work. I believe @vroomzoomboom added the message center to his Sport and was not about to get the fuel level stuff to work correctly because the Sport has a 17 gal fuel tank. A lot of work for not much return.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    Not so bad, but you haven't followed up and responded to ANY replies from the threads you've started. :banghead:

5. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    98 supercharged 347 sport
    you are correct. after digging, and digging on how to make it work with a sport, i couldnt find a thing on how to do it. i believe 99sportx said he did it to his, but couldnt remember what he did so i gave up. if your putting one in, i also remember seeing something that you want to get one that came from the same year, and had the same motor to work. however, i am sure i have the same year, but now i have a v8 in mine, and it was a v6 went i did it and everything works the same, with one exception. when i put the stroker in, the average mpg changed and i cant figure out why. once again, just something i am living with now.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. LoquetusofBorg

LoquetusofBorg "Resistance is Futile" Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Eureka, Illinois
    98 Explorer Sport-Limited
    Yes, I also put one in my 98 sport. It works great. There is a write up here on the forum to install it using your existing wiring, but it will be much more time consuming to do. just get the wire harness from the donor rig, it will be less work- sort of. I am going to get rid of my message center because it takes up a lot of valuable real estate on my console for other things I want to put in. You can buy a scan gauge do do the same thing and a lot less work.
    Loquetus

7. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Ditto, Eric(99Sportx) did it here first(member later had done that and posted on Car Domain, his was a Ranger(302, Eaton blower, Torsen rear diff etc). I don't think the oil pan sensor he worried about, he didn't mention it. But I believe he detailed most all of what he did in his many upgrades(V8, Mountaineer front end, message center, EATC, now an LS engine).

I'd hunt his threads and see if there's more detail in them. I recall there is a difference in the dash cluster wiring of the V6 versus the V8, affecting tach at least. That's a long ways back, 2005-6ish I think.

8. J8McMahon

J8McMahon New Member

I don't care really for the fuel economy perk as much as like taking advantage of the computers to show the sensor data like system checks and stuff. Also, apologies for not responding immediately, I have limited internet access...

9. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    98 supercharged 347 sport
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. J8McMahon

J8McMahon New Member

Okay, thank you for the help!