metal thermostat housing soon available for v6 2005+ engine | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

metal thermostat housing soon available for v6 2005+ engine

T Stat housings

Yea, I would like to see the angles(the way they are when installed) of all of them next to each other. You never know when you might need to aim the hose a different way for clearance. Some are tilted up a little and some are clocked different.
I also would love to see a lower housing with a threaded hole added for a sensor for a gauge or fan controller.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Housing

OK, so I added a couple of sensors to my metal housing. Would not have been able to do that to the plastic one.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 562

drill & tap?

. . . I also would love to see a lower housing with a threaded hole added for a sensor for a gauge or fan controller.

Very nice! Did you just drill and tap the lower housing? Is the small one for the thermostatically controlled electric fan? I've never liked the probe stuck in the radiator implementation. I haven't determined the optimum sensor location. In your location when will it activate?

sensors

Yes I drilled and tapped it. If I did it again I would choose a different place for the little one. Too close to the sides.
The little one is for the Autometer gauge.
The large one is an older style GM coolant temperature sensor that I just happened to have in my tool box. The SPAL coolant fan controller has two wiring harnesses that came with it. One is for soldering or back probing into the factory coolant temp sensor. (I used that one for a while but it cause a minor change in the sensors reading to the pcm). The other harness has a connector on the end just for the GM temp sensor. Convenient. The Spal is programmable for fan on time at 50% to 100% DC.
The sensors all sense from below the thermostat so they read actual temperature even when the tstat is closed, just like the factory Coolant temp sensor. In my opinion the best place for any other sensors is right where the factory ones are when possible.
The metal thermostat housing made this possible, I am thrilled with it so far!

I have two sensor hole lowers and single sensor hole lowers for sale. Yes the best way to order is to send funds to paypal address fdxmechanic@yahoo.com and put a note in it to which setup you are ordering. The price for the lower with seals is $149 that includes shipping to USA. The tooling for the upper housing is complete. I am waiting for the prototype casting for fit check and then I should get my first run. Prototype should be ready within the next two weeks and then fit check and then first run complete. Should have them soon. I will then sell them top and bottom and top only for customers that purchased just the bottom pieces. After I get the explorer and ranger top housings. I am working on a web site for ordering. I will include the gasket, o-rings, sensors, maybe even thermostats. I will not carry the cheap thermostats so don't look for the cheapest price. if i cannot get the good ones I will not sale them on my site.

What is the status of the metal water outlet to go with the metal lower housing?

Its been a while but the metal housings are here and ready to sell. You can find them on ebay now but soon will be available on amazon shortly. Here is a short cut to ebay location. Includes metal upper housings. I have them for the explorer sport trac and ranger applications also.http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-10-Ford-...05|Model:Explorer&hash=item46280c2537&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the reply. One question. I have a '97 XLT 4WD/AWD with the 4.0 SOHC. It has two sensor/sender ports. The unit you have on eBay only has one. Do you have an option with two sensor/sender ports?

Yes, just order the explorer housing and put a note about needing the double sensor lower housing. I have both of them available. I also have the ranger and explorer sport track upper housing available that is turned to the right about 90 degrees or so. Check out ebay for the listings or just email me at simmonsautosportz@yahoo.com and request it that way. Ill send you a request through paypal for payment and avoid ebay charges.

T-housing

I ordered mine last night.Jonathon wanted me to let everyone know that if you pay with paypal directly to him,the price is only $149.00 at least until the end of the year. Send him an email at simmonsautosportz@yahoo.com and he will send paypal request to you. Great way to save some money.

My '09 Explorer thermostat housing started to leak after replaced the thermostat. :-( Very interested to have a long term solution on the leak. How is the experience of the metal thermostat housing installation and reliability so far for the folks installed the metal housing? Any special installation attention I should be aware of? OK to reuse the old sensor? Thanks for the helps!!

Thermostat housing

I have just the lower housing. I was blowing combustion gases into the cooling system from stretching the head bolts (with 16-17 lbs of boost on a 9.7 compression engine). My cap is rated at 16 lbs. so it blew any excess pressure into the overflow bottle. I had absolutely no leaks whatsoever at the metal thermostat housing.
I do use excess amounts of RTV. I used it below along with the oring, I used it on top along with the oring. I also used it on the sensors with the orings as well.
Old sensors are fine to use, just install new orings on them.

Now available are the upper metal housing for the explorer, explorer sport trac and the ranger with 4.0 sohc engine. I have the lower housings available with one or two sensor holes. They are available on amazon, ebay. Comes with all necessary oring to complete the job. Same installation as the plastic one, except only have to replace once!

Also if someone emails me and wants an extra hole tapped, it can be done.

Upper housing

Would you consider making a custom upper housing? I would like to aim the upper radiator hose a slightly different angle for clearances with superchargers etc.

Sorry, cost to much to cast a few. I do have the explorer sport trac upper housing that turns to the right.

housing

The sport trac upper does not angle up enough, the 1998 explorer 2 door I have faces the same way as the sport trac but it angles up a little more.
Thanks anyway!
I love the metal bottom, that's the part that fails the most anyway. And being able to put a few sensors in it was a plus too. Thing is very strong compared the original.
Thanks again.

So if I replace the stock sensors on my 98 SOHC with the newer (2005) clip in ones as 2000StreetRod did, this should work for those of us with older Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thermostat housings

If you mean your 1998 4.0 SOHC, then yes the lower thermostat housing will work. That's the same as my truck. I used the newer sensors as well.
Its way better than that plastic crap.

Back