MFT Black / Blank Screen | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Black / Blank Screen

So they are saying it's a second module that is not attached to the screen that needs to be replaced. And it's gunna cost over $700 to change any idea what it is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

peterk9,

You are correct, the APIM controls the radio which is in the Audio Control Module. This is the module containing the CD drive and also contains the AM/FM tuner and Sirius.

-po
So I paid $1100 for an entire radio. I'm bringing it back tomorrow but any ideas why when contacted to Bluetooth and taking a call thru the car why it is very low and static sounding?

Don't know if this is connected or not - but my Black SOD coincided with the change in my Sirius subscription from the free premium version with most all the channels to my renewal, which is a different version.

I didn't even realize that until I was travelling yesterday and couldn't get above channel 184. I called Sirius and (finally) found someone who could explain why.

Then it hit me that the black screen happened at the same time as the change.
The same thing has happened to me yesterday. Sirius was turned off because I would not renew and not I have the BSD. A call to Sirius and got the runaround. Pulled power for a reset but did no good. Your solution was?

The same thing has happened to me yesterday. Sirius was turned off because I would not renew and not I have the BSD. A call to Sirius and got the runaround. Pulled power for a reset but did no good. Your solution was?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The cancellation of your Sirius/XM subscription should not have anything to do with a blank screen. All that does is prevent access to that product. The MFT screen is controlled by the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module). By "pulled power" do you mean a negative battery cable disconnect? The APIM has a 5 year warranty from the Explorer's 'In Service' date but looking at your model year I suspect that has expired.

Peter

I have been having a black screen come up randomly on my 2012 Explorer XLT. It sometimes will come on after a short drive then other days it will stay off for hours if not an entire day. I took it to our local dealership and was told if it wasn't occuring when they checked it there was nothing they could do to help. It now went black again this morning and stayed off 1/2 the day. (nowhere near a dealer) Is there anything I can do from home to remedy this? Hate to pay another diagnostic with no help...

I have been having a black screen come up randomly on my 2012 Explorer XLT. It sometimes will come on after a short drive then other days it will stay off for hours if not an entire day. I took it to our local dealership and was told if it wasn't occuring when they checked it there was nothing they could do to help. It now went black again this morning and stayed off 1/2 the day. (nowhere near a dealer) Is there anything I can do from home to remedy this? Hate to pay another diagnostic with no help...
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. Chances are that your APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) is starting to fail. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT system. I don't know if this type of failure stores a trouble code or not. Do you know if the dealer checked for that?

Peter

Hey folks-

I recently purchased this 2012 Explorer at auction. At the time of inspection the SYNC touchscreen worked, but after bidding, when I went to go pick it up the screen was out.

I took it in to the dealership, and was told that the module needed to be replaced and I was quoted at ~$1,100. I told them to order the part and give me a call the next week when it was supposed to come in.

During that week, while we waited. The screen came back on and worked for 2 weeks straight with no issues or concerns. So I called the dealership and told them to keep their module. Now, it's gone black again and the family car is without audio or heated seat controls.

This time I decided to investigate it before taking it back in and coughing up $1,100. I have tried restarting using power and >> to no avail. I have pulled the 29 fuse a couple times and each time the audio kicks on for about 30 seconds before cutting out but I don't get so much as a flicker from the screen.

From what I've read, there's no promise that replacing the module would even fix this issue, and aside from disconnecting the negative from the battery, pulling the 29 fuse, and using the Sirius voice control USB trick all to force a restart, there don't seem to be any definitive ways to address this issue.

Is there anything else left to try? Does the 30 seconds of audio indicate anything?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one.
It looks like you need a new APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module). The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT system. There was a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty put on it but you are now beyond that. The problems were most prevalent in the early year models.

Peter

Is there no way to at least get audio working in the mean time? It works fine for 30 seconds after pulling the fuse. Is there a way to bypass the APIM? Or some other explanation for why the radio works for a moment?

Hey folks-

I recently purchased this 2012 Explorer at auction. At the time of inspection the SYNC touchscreen worked, but after bidding, when I went to go pick it up the screen was out.

I took it in to the dealership, and was told that the module needed to be replaced and I was quoted at ~$1,100. I told them to order the part and give me a call the next week when it was supposed to come in.

During that week, while we waited. The screen came back on and worked for 2 weeks straight with no issues or concerns. So I called the dealership and told them to keep their module. Now, it's gone black again and the family car is without audio or heated seat controls.

This time I decided to investigate it before taking it back in and coughing up $1,100. I have tried restarting using power and >> to no avail. I have pulled the 29 fuse a couple times and each time the audio kicks on for about 30 seconds before cutting out but I don't get so much as a flicker from the screen.

From what I've read, there's no promise that replacing the module would even fix this issue, and aside from disconnecting the negative from the battery, pulling the 29 fuse, and using the Sirius voice control USB trick all to force a restart, there don't seem to be any definitive ways to address this issue.

Is there anything else left to try? Does the 30 seconds of audio indicate anything?

Thanks!

That is the classic sign of a defective APIM. A proper replacement will cure it.

And replacing it is a dealer trip? I'd love to save a few hundred dollars and do it myself. I'm tech savvy and confident I could program it if I had a guide, but I'd love to hear some success stories first. Most people seem to just be taking it to the dealer.

So, I've looked into it and getting FORScan and programming a new module looks like a reasonable effort for me. All of the guides sound well within my capabilities. My concern is the hardware side- I don't know how difficult it is to install and I can't figure out which APIM I need. There's a lot available, all at different price points. I don't want to buy used because it might come with the same problems. Is there a certain model that came out that doesn't have this problem? The process makes sense, it's identifying the right APIM to slot where I'm stuck

Any advice is appreciated

And replacing it is a dealer trip? I'd love to save a few hundred dollars and do it myself. I'm tech savvy and confident I could program it if I had a guide, but I'd love to hear some success stories first. Most people seem to just be taking it to the dealer.

Did you get this resolved?

So last week my MFT display didnt turn on when I started the car. 30 min into my commute it came on 'rebooting for maintenance'

This week it didnt come on again. No radio, no climate controls, no backup camera.

This is 2012 Explorer XLT with 199,000 miles on it. I found the warranty extension for the MFT system but of course, I'm 3 years too late. SMH.

Two years ago my battery died and all the MyKey controls reverted to what they were when I bought the car so I haven't been able to go over 80mph. The admin key no longer has the admin menus when the key is used.

UGH

On the MFT display it looks like when its not working the display itself isn't powering up. I really dont want to take it in to a dealership and pay to have them tell me what's wrong. Are there any easy fixes for this?

Thanks!

Jason

Welcome to the Forum Jason.:wave:
From the sounds of it you will have to replace the APIM which is the 'brains' of the MFT. Whether you think it's worth replacing is up to you. If you don't mind not having the items you mentioned then leave it as is. Otherwise........

Peter

Alright, after a couple months now of it coming up and going down, I've decided to replace the thing. Any advice on where I can get an APIM module that wont also have this problem? Minimum model # I should be looking for? Anything like that?

Well, I went back and forth between just upgrading to SYNC 3, getting a module + screen for $450 on ebay, but couldn't talk anyone down to a reasonable price, so I just picked up a SYNC 2 APIM from a 2015 ford fusion for $75 on ebay and will skip the upgrade today.

I bought an OBDII adapter, and tools to take apart my dash. Now I wait for a few days for everything to show up. Looks like a fun project for this weekend.

Wish me luck

Take lots of pics please.
BTW you found the complete Sync3 module with apple car play on ebay for $450 and you didn't buy it!!!!!!??????????

Module + screen, no navigation/apple car play. Doesnt matter anyways, $450 was out of our budget, our options were upgrade to sync 3 for $450 or fix the Sync 2 for $70.

I think we made the right choice for now. We can still upgrade later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today March 9th, I was driving home and my sync 2 system just went to a black screen. I tried restarting the car and it would load up for a few seconds and the black screen would be back. I've tried everything that I could to try and fix it but I don't know what to do. How would I go upon fixing this?

Back