MFT Problems - Is Factory Nav a Common Cause? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Problems - Is Factory Nav a Common Cause?

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
Lots of people talking about problems with MFT and Sync. In reading the threads, the problems range from slow system startup to the black screen of death.

I have an XLT with no factory navigation. I have had MFT lock up once before the system was "re-sync'd" with the Ford system. A fuse 29 power cycle solved it. My system has been basically trouble free since. It's not the fastest in startup, but I've learned to use it.

People like Loganfilm on the other hand seem to be having significant problems with the system performing basic functions. In reading all of the threads, it seems like common problems are solved by an upgrade to v2.8.

Where there are serious problems, one common factor may be on the units with factory navigation enabled.

So for those of you with really bad problems (multiple total system freeze up, black screens, etc.) what trim level Explorer do you have, and what are you doing when it crashes? Navigation? Nav with a bluetooth phone enabled, Nav with USB device plugged in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had to do a second Fuse 29 reset today. The home screen was showing FM radio station presets while the Sirius radio was on. :mad:

When it rebooted, it said it was doing scheduled system maintenance. Interesting. Wonder if that was the Sirius channel voice selection update?

But when it reset, everything was then correct again.

Fuse pulling is not an acceptable solution to your problems. I would take it to the dealer and have them sort it out.

Well after months of reading about others major crashes it finally happened to me. Shortly after start up I manually searched the phonebook and dialed one of the entries. The number started ringing, but suddenly the phone disconnected from the system, saying "no phone connected". When I tried to re-connect, the screen froze with the box saying "searching for blackberry" or something like that. I could not cancel this screen for the rest of the ride. I parked the vehicle and shut the engine down, at this point the screen went black, but the radio stayed on. I opened the door and the radio remained on, with the black screen. I had never before had to do the fuse pull so I got out the manual to see where the fuse box was, read about the location and fuse number, but when I stuck my head under the steering wheel the radio suddenly went off. When I returned to the vehicle an hour later and restarted, all came back to normal and I even dialed a number in an attempt to recreate the crash, but all worked fine.

Almost seems like it had been gearing up to this, in the preceding days I have had several phone connect failures and weird things like the nav stopped talking without the mute being set.

For those of you who have had total system failure, is this how it begins?

Fuse pulling is not an acceptable solution to your problems. I would take it to the dealer and have them sort it out.
The dealer ain't going to sort this one out. It's the software.

I was on a trip on sparsely travelled roads, so I played with the system settings to see if changing the display parameters would fix it. Nothing did, short of a system reset.

Hopefully this new wonderful software release coming soon will fix these issues.

Back