Michelin Cross Terrain OR LTX M/S2 ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Michelin Cross Terrain OR LTX M/S2 ?

kevin512

Reaction score
City, State
St. Paul, Minneota
Year, Model & Trim Level
My '02 Explorer XLT is in need of new tires before the snow starts flying here in Minnesota.

I was planning on getting Michelin Cross Terrain tires again, since the last two sets each worked well for about 75K miles. However, the local tire shop suggested the Michelin LTX M/S2 are somewhat better for the same price.

Does anybody in a snow-state have experience with both of these tires? I don't go off-road with this vehicle, but living in Minnesota means lots of driving on snow & ice. The reviews on tirerack are generally positive for both.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will always go with LTX.

After 3 sets of Cross Terrains I have put on LTX MS2, only have 2k on them but I really like them so far they are very quite and have good grip off road (light trail).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get the LTX M/S2 tires. The quote I received was for $816 out-the-door after a $70 Michelin rebate.

Update:

I've been driving with four new Michelin LTX M/S2 for the last week. I only have a couple hundred miles on them, but they are very quiet and grip well on wet roads. Also, the tread appears deeper than the OEM Michelin Cross Terrains tires. My local Ford dealer price matched Discount Tire's price @ $168 per tire.

Good, Just try to rotate them every 5,000 miles. I do mine at 5k when I do an oil change, that way I will make sure they are rotated. Set the truck on 4 jack stands, change oil, grease what can be, inspect tires, brakes, and rotate.

I went through this very same purchase decision in April and went with the LTX (tire guy recommended them). For what it's worth, I don't use mine in the winter any more (have dedicated winter tires), but having used the predecessor model in snow, I have confidence in them as a winter tire.

Back