might be able to get my hands on a 96 bronco: what should i be looking for!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

might be able to get my hands on a 96 bronco: what should i be looking for!?

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
hey all, i found a guy who might be interested in trading me his 1996 ford bronco for my 94 isuzu rodeo. since this will be my first bronco, what should i be looking for when i check this guys bronco out? any common problems, areas where rust often shows up? what should i be looking for when i test drive it? leaks form the roof or in the engine? any help with what to look for when buying (or trading for) a used 96 bronco would be really damn helpful.

thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe its the stock V8, but i will email him right now to get the exact specs. are there any unique tell tale signs of a bad t case on these vehicles?

I have a Bronco sitting around (48K original miles) and I haven't really had any major issues. If the top has never been removed there should be a problem with it leaking. Check the radiator for any leaks as I've had to replace the stock one, and I've replaced the ABS sensor. I've noticed the tire rack gets rusty and the frame does (like on any car). The auto hubs sometimes wont disengage; manual lock hubs probably are the best way to go.

Is it the electronic shift 4WD or manual shift? The electronic shift seems to have problems.
Sometimes the transfer case chews up those nylon gears for the speedometer and that usually is a sign of a bad T-case.

Thats all I can think of for now... If I remember anything else I will chime in.

thanks so much for all the advice fellas. i will ask him about whether it is the electronic shift, and whether the roof has been taken off. i havent seen the truck in person yet, but hopefully i will this weekend. if it is for the most part in good shape, ill be taking it home and posting pics! thanks guys

Back