Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

might be able to get my hands on a 96 bronco: what should i be looking for!?

Discussion in 'Ford Lincoln Mercury' started by LONO100, July 19, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      03 sport trac XLT
      hey all, i found a guy who might be interested in trading me his 1996 ford bronco for my 94 isuzu rodeo. since this will be my first bronco, what should i be looking for when i check this guys bronco out? any common problems, areas where rust often shows up? what should i be looking for when i test drive it? leaks form the roof or in the engine? any help with what to look for when buying (or trading for) a used 96 bronco would be really damn helpful.

thanks everyone!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      i believe its the stock V8, but i will email him right now to get the exact specs. are there any unique tell tale signs of a bad t case on these vehicles?

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    6. NHarris

NHarris Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gillette, Wyoming
      04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
      I have a Bronco sitting around (48K original miles) and I haven't really had any major issues. If the top has never been removed there should be a problem with it leaking. Check the radiator for any leaks as I've had to replace the stock one, and I've replaced the ABS sensor. I've noticed the tire rack gets rusty and the frame does (like on any car). The auto hubs sometimes wont disengage; manual lock hubs probably are the best way to go.

Is it the electronic shift 4WD or manual shift? The electronic shift seems to have problems.
      Sometimes the transfer case chews up those nylon gears for the speedometer and that usually is a sign of a bad T-case.

Thats all I can think of for now... If I remember anything else I will chime in.

7. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      thanks so much for all the advice fellas. i will ask him about whether it is the electronic shift, and whether the roof has been taken off. i havent seen the truck in person yet, but hopefully i will this weekend. if it is for the most part in good shape, ill be taking it home and posting pics! thanks guys