Mileage on Delivery? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mileage on Delivery?

27 Miles...2 of which were mine during the test drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

83 miles. Couldn't be happier. Don't care about the 83 miles.

Forgot to mention, I bought a 350Z years ago brand new. The car was driven from a dealer 100 miles away to the dealer I purchased it from. A few thousand miles later.. all the motor did was consume oil. I brought it to the attention of the dealer, and they asked if I knew how to drive stick properly, which I took as an insult, and asked if I revved the motor over 4000 rpm at all. In which I was baffled and stated, so 350Z owners are not allowed to utilize half the RPM range on a new 40k sports car post break in? Needless to say, the day the lemon law paperwork was sent away in the mail, the vehicle was struck by a transit bus and totaled. So I never got an answer as to why the car consumed oil. I received the car with ~100 or so miles on it, and followed the proper break in procedure like I do with all of the new cars I've ever owned. My only guess is whoever drove the vehicle beat the piss out of it before I received it. This is part of why I am suspect of dealers handling my new cars, besides what I've seen/heard working in the auto industry.

Two different hose clamps have blown off, the door creaks any time it moves from a stop, the Air bag light keeps coming on and off intermittently, had a water leak in the third row, smell from the exhaust in the car, squeaky brakes, mirror wind noise/whistle, rough idle, and the no shift issue, ...

Hi Ryan327,

If you're still experiencing any of these issues, I want to make sure your regional customer service manager is aware so they can help. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Mine had 16 miles on it. A couple of them were mine from a test drive.

The rest of my story.

When I paid for mine it had 27 miles but since it was late I couldn't pick it up until the next day. I had the saleman drive it to my work and drop it off - another 30 miles. I couldn't care less if someone else drove it for a few miles.

That being said, I completely understand why someone would especially if it were an ordered vehicle. Why should anyone else be allowed to put the first 69.1 miles on my $30k to $56k car?

Ford Service: It'd be nice if they installed some accessory in the cars that get test driven. Roof rails, or mud flaps, etc so instead of just a note, "Hey, we drove your car" it'd be a note like "Hey, we drove your car and for the privledge we installed a cargo area protector at our expense...enjoy".

Forgot to mention, I bought a 350Z years ago brand new. The car was driven from a dealer 100 miles away to the dealer I purchased it from. A few thousand miles later.. all the motor did was consume oil. I brought it to the attention of the dealer, and they asked if I knew how to drive stick properly, which I took as an insult, and asked if I revved the motor over 4000 rpm at all. In which I was baffled and stated, so 350Z owners are not allowed to utilize half the RPM range on a new 40k sports car post break in? Needless to say, the day the lemon law paperwork was sent away in the mail, the vehicle was struck by a transit bus and totaled. So I never got an answer as to why the car consumed oil. I received the car with ~100 or so miles on it, and followed the proper break in procedure like I do with all of the new cars I've ever owned. My only guess is whoever drove the vehicle beat the piss out of it before I received it. This is part of why I am suspect of dealers handling my new cars, besides what I've seen/heard working in the auto industry.

Oil consumption issues on the early 350Z’s were not uncommon. A handful of owners received new engines.

Oil consumption issues on the early 350Z’s were not uncommon. A handful of owners received new engines.

Early as in 2003? Mine was a 2006 which received the 'rev-up' refined motor that was supposed to be free of those early model issues. IIRC the issue was with the valve guides?

Early as in 2003? Mine was a 2006 which received the 'rev-up' refined motor that was supposed to be free of those early model issues. IIRC the issue was with the valve guides?

The oil consumption issues were not "resolved" until 07. Although considered rare some early production 06's did have the issue. But the percentage is definitely higher for pre 06.

The oil consumption issues were not "resolved" until 07. Although considered rare some early production 06's did have the issue. But the percentage is definitely higher for pre 06.

Thanks for the info Nick. That sounds familiar now. It's funny how folks like yourself know more than dealerships when it comes to these common problems.

Thanks for the info Nick. That sounds familiar now. It's funny how folks like yourself know more than dealerships when it comes to these common problems.

haha no prob. I just picked up my 14 sport 3 days ago and the salesman actually told me I knew more than him about the vehicle when he was showing it to me. But the reason I did is because of the forums, Edmunds/KBB, ford.com, truecar etc for months prior to entering the dealer.

I just got out of a G37 so I have some time with a VQ power plant. Forums such as these are very valuable.

But to keep on topic my G37 had 65 miles on delivery and my recent X Sport had 98 delivery.

My salesman made the same comment when I ordered my Limited in Dec. 2010. The reason is that some of us spend the time researching one particular vehicle while sales people have many models to look after. All the more reason why perspective buyers should do their 'homework' first and not rely just on the sales person.
As far as the mileage on new vehicles goes, keep in mind that while everyone may not be happy to see quite a few miles on the vehicle they are planning to get, the warranty doesn't begin until you take possession of it.

Peter

I guess every dealer has a different philosophy on test drives. The dealer where I have bought about ten new cars over the last 25 years will let me drive any car on his lot if I am looking to buy. And I don't have to haul the salesman with me and I am sure I am not unique.
Unless you catch a car right off the transport there is a good chance it has been driven. The 14 Sport I just picked up had 80 miles on it when I tested it and I put another 40 on it before I made a deal for it. As long as it does not have any physical damage I don't have a problem with a few miles. I know I will not buy a car I haven't driven enough to check for any obvious issues.

I guess every dealer has a different philosophy on test drives. The dealer where I have bought about ten new cars over the last 25 years will let me drive any car on his lot if I am looking to buy. And I don't have to haul the salesman with me and I am sure I am not unique.
Unless you catch a car right off the transport there is a good chance it has been driven. The 14 Sport I just picked up had 80 miles on it when I tested it and I put another 40 on it before I made a deal for it. As long as it does not have any physical damage I don't have a problem with a few miles. I know I will not buy a car I haven't driven enough to check for any obvious issues.

Terry, we bought a 14 xlt off the lot after about a 30 mile test drive. Although we were the first people to drive this car, it wouldn't bother me to have a modest amt of miles on the car I was looking at.

Took delivery with 63 miles (3 of which were my test drive). The vehicle had been transferred between dealer locations a couple times.

I have to agree if I special order a vehicle, I expect it to be delivered to me without any unnecessary mileage. Quite frankly, I'd prefer that they didn't even remove the plastic from the seats and the floors.

I have to agree if I special order a vehicle, I expect it to be delivered to me without any unnecessary mileage. Quite frankly, I'd prefer that they didn't even remove the plastic from the seats and the floors.

Im pretty sure Ford requires the dealership to do a Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) and that MUST include cleaning with removal of all factory wrappings. The dealer would get in trouble through Ford if they got paid for this but didn't provide the service.

I don't think they even get a choice.

Im pretty sure Ford requires the dealership to do a Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) and that MUST include cleaning with removal of all factory wrappings. The dealer would get in trouble through Ford if they got paid for this but didn't provide the service.

I don't think they even get a choice.

I have to fully agree with this statement. My wife & I happened to be present when the delivery truck pulled up with our Explorer on it. My salesman & the owner of the dealership both told us that it was too late in the afternoon to be able to take our Ex home because they were required by Ford to have the vehicle cleaned, checked, & all accessories ordered with it, fully assembled before it leaves the lot.

It had 22 miles on it straight off the delivery truck.
The 3 years were up on May 25th with only 31,860 of the 36,022 mile factory warranty

This statement is just bogus. They are required to do the vehicle inspection, clean it up and remove all the factory packing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that point (inspection, etc.) was addressed in a couple of posts above. His latter statement isn't 'bogus' if he is just expressing his preference for his particular vehicle order. I'm sure that we all would prefer some things that aren't going to happen or aren't possible. :)

Peter

Back