• Register Today It's free!

mis-fire mystery

Qiset

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
My wife's 2002 Explorer XLT with a 4.6L started missing when warm especially noticeable at idle. With an OBD2 scanner it showed P0301, P0306, P0316. An online search said those codes indicate mis-fire on cylinders one and six.
New plugs and the codes were still there.
I purchased one new COP and put it on the number six plug. The codes were still there.
I exchanged plugs between cylinder five and six and the codes stayed with cylinder six.
I used a noid light and the signal to the COP's looks good.
I also used the noid light to verify the signal to the injectors. Again it flashed as I expected.
A compression test showed good. I thought it might be a bad injector so I swapped the number five and six injectors and the code stayed with six.
I cleaned and checked the maf/iat. Both read in range from what I can find about them.
I didn't find any vacuum leaks but there was a slight fluctuation. Which made me think that
maybe there is something internal going bad and was about to take it in to a pro. Then
the weather came to my rescue. The temperature dropped from in the 90's to where it hasn't been above 60 for the last few days. What a difference that made. The car has no misfire and it won't throw a code. I even took it to get it's yearly emissions test which it passed.
So is it possible that something about the A/C running can mess up the PCM? Or something else? Any clues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More on this. This afternoon it warmed up to the 70's. The misfire came back.

I'd probably recheck the MAF since the IAT is also built into it (or buy a new one). Also I hate to say this but are you sure that when swapping cops they were the correct cylinder # or did you clear the DTC after? At this age the COPs on 4.6 starts to show its age and began to misfire, some of them doesn't even throw a DTC but you could feel that it's misfiring.

Makes sense. The air temp sensitivity seems to point to something that measures the air. I know the IAT part of it is just a resistor but the MAF part has additional stuff.
I verified the firing order in both my Haynes manual and from postings online. Plus one of
the COP's was new. Thanks for the input.

Wow! I know what I'll be doing next. What a great tip. Thanks!

Back