Missfire Cylinder #1 (intermitent) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missfire Cylinder #1 (intermitent)

jlbanderasb

Reaction score
City, State
Yuma Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
Hi all,

Yesterday when driving back home, I noticed my Explorer 2002 started failing, tipical cylinder failure but it also make a noisy "clicks" like a piece of metal hiting anotherone. I just went to Autozone and they confirm the failure: Cylinder 1 Misfire by using the ODB-2.

Since this failure is intermitent, any clue of what it can be? the spark plug, cable, coil, ??????

Will appreciate your adds!!! thanks.

Jorge

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this is an older post, but my 2002 4.0 4X4 is doing the exact same thing. In #1, 2 and 3. Also too rich in bank #1 and too lean in bank #2. And that buzzing metal sounding noise to.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I know this is an older post, but my 2002 4.0 4X4 is doing the exact same thing. In #1, 2 and 3. Also too rich in bank #1 and too lean in bank #2. And that buzzing metal sounding noise to.

Sounds like maybe timing chain tensioner concern. Rich on one bank and lean on other bank is indication of possible timing chain concerns.

Hopefully it'll not be a time chain tensioner problem, if so, you will need to remove the engine.

My personal experience 2 months ago was a rocker arm and valve lifter only. The buzzing metal noise you are mentioning seems to be similar to what happened with my xlt '02 4.0 explorer, so remove the oil cap, put one end of a 4 feet hose on your ear and put the other end inside the valve cap. You'll confirm if a rocker arm/valve lifter is the source of your problem by hearing the noise magnified.

If so, you'll find OEM replacement parts @ Autozone very cheap!!!

Good luck!

Rite on. Ill try tonight. This thing just pucked a whole buncha codes!! P0316, P0314 misfire codes. P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303. P1116 ECT snsr out of range, P0172 Too rich nank #1, P0174 Too rich bank #2.

Please note, this thing purred like a kitten just yesterday????

Thanks again.

mine did the same thing on my v-8

it turned out to be my plug wire shorting out to the metal can they put around the sprak plug.

well! the cans came off and the plug wires got changed.

then it started up again! I was like don't tell me I burned another wire? yes I did!

here when I turned on the A/C for some reason it would unplug the wire from the spray plug just enough for it to miss.

out for a new set of wires. but this time I got custom wire and made them longer

Good point, I've had that happen on other cars/trucks. I'll be checking that as well.

Hopefully it'll not be a time chain tensioner problem, if so, you will need to remove the engine.

My personal experience 2 months ago was a rocker arm and valve lifter only. The buzzing metal noise you are mentioning seems to be similar to what happened with my xlt '02 4.0 explorer, so remove the oil cap, put one end of a 4 feet hose on your ear and put the other end inside the valve cap. You'll confirm if a rocker arm/valve lifter is the source of your problem by hearing the noise magnified.

If so, you'll find OEM replacement parts @ Autozone very cheap!!!

Good luck!

Rite on bud, it needs a valve job on that oil cap side. I replaced the ECT and the heater control valve, it was the little leak I've been looking for......

Thanks.

I have a similar issue...idle is not that bad, but I am getting an intermittent P0301 with the flashing CEL while at highway speeds under load (going up hills) and it starts running quite rough. If I pull over and shut down the car, the light clears. I replaced the coil pack, plug wires and all the plugs. Plugs looked fine. I'm also not losing coolant. Any ideas for where to go next? Bad injector?

I have a similar issue...idle is not that bad, but I am getting an intermittent P0301 with the flashing CEL while at highway speeds under load (going up hills) and it starts running quite rough. If I pull over and shut down the car, the light clears. I replaced the coil pack, plug wires and all the plugs. Plugs looked fine. I'm also not losing coolant. Any ideas for where to go next? Bad injector?

When I did experience this issue it was the rocker for cylinder 1. I did replace it and then it returned back to normal. It was a mechanical issue.

How can you diagnose a rocker issue definitively? Sounds like a bear of a job to repair....

You can use a piece of hose as stethoscope.....point the hose to the cylinder 1 location....the failure I experienced was not obviuos but it was a matter of time for it to start producing a noise. The rocker has a bearing that might be worn out.

Back